Birth control

Kaoz789
on 8/9/12 2:00 am
 Okay Ladies (and gents too if you want),

I need some suggestions! I'm shopping birth control products.

First, I am 7 months post RNY.
Second, I have PCOS so I want to stay the heck away from anything that will exacerbate that.
Third, I'm allergic to latex.

Anybody know of anything besides abstinence that works? I was on the daily pill at 12 and it made me constantly angry, so I'm trying to stay away from that option.

Kaoz

marianthelibrarian
on 8/9/12 2:53 am
Are you trying to avoid hormonal birth control? There are iuds that are hormonal and others that are non-hormonal that you could consider. I was prescribed the pill to help with pcos- too bad it doesn't help yours!

Lapband 4/2005:  342HW, 202LW
RNY 7/30/2012: 292HW, 276SW

Kaoz789
on 8/9/12 6:15 am
 If possible, yes I am trying to avoid hormones.  I was placed on the pill at 3 different times in my life due to PCOS, and each time the result was bad.  

Thanks for th reply!

bugsmommy
on 8/9/12 4:15 am

Paraguard (copper IUD) and non-latex condoms are the only 2 I can think of that have no hormones.

There are silicone and lambskin condoms depending on if you're just looking to prevent pregnancy (lambskin) or STDS (silicone). 

I fail on birth control pills (pregnancies) and I cry non-stop with depoprovera.  I have a Mirena IUD but I don't worry about the hormones and enjoy that I only spot occasionally vs having a monthly cycle.

Cherie

Kaoz789
on 8/9/12 6:16 am
 I've read about the copper one, I'm going to ask my doc more about it today.

Thanks for your help!

courtwillbehealthy
on 8/9/12 8:07 am - burlington, VT
 the coper one is AWFUL 
it caused me to bleed for months at a time, 10 times More cramping and back pain, I do not reccomend at all. 
both IUD's i got (one of each) ended up getting embedded one in my cevix and the other in my uterious! (sorry for the bad spelling) just sharing my side! 

Neen L.
on 8/9/12 7:10 am - Arlington, VA
Paraguard is a great option for non-hormonal birth control, but it *does* cause heavier periods for a decent percentage of users. The plus side is that it lasts for 10 years and can be removed at any time should you have any plans for children.

The Mirena IUD has some hormones and is effective for 5 years. However, the hormone dose is extremely low and generally does not affect users as much as the average birth control pill. Plus, it practically stops periods (awwwwesome). I get about 1-2 days of spotty bleeding every 6 weeks. I have PCOS and am on anti-depressants, but it hasn't caused me any emotional or weight-related issues. I was skeptical, but it's turned out pretty great.

I think discussing both with your doctor is a good idea. Mine was pretty comfortable with either option.

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

courtwillbehealthy
on 8/9/12 8:04 am - burlington, VT
 i get the depo shot, i dont get any periods or cramping i have PCOS so its wonderful and im still losing weight (some people feel it makes them gain weight ) 
no babies since iv been on it, 
(deactivated member)
on 8/9/12 10:01 am
I have the copper IUD and it does cause heavier periods. I'm told it takes 6-8 months to settle and your periods to lighten up. I'm only in month 5, and they are ligher than the first two months which was just unreal in terms of bleeding. It took alot of adjustment for me... it was a very painful two months, but that can be true for either IUD. And then again, some people breeze right through it as if it were never there. I had such problems on the pills I was looking to stay away from hormones completely though, and I didn't want to use condoms because it will be years before I can even consider kids. So it seemed like the best option. 

Aside from having anemia now and having to deal with heavy periods while anemic, I'm happy with it.
Ready2ChangeMe
on 8/9/12 12:30 pm - Canada
 I had the copper IUD for 2.5 yrs and it worked wonderfully...Since June I have had the Mirena in and have been spotting continuously every day, my periods are only for 5 days and light but I really wish the spotting would go away!.

Most Active
Recent Topics