Anti-Nausea Drug (Emend)

sdb1147
on 8/12/12 9:46 am - Renton, WA
Anyone have any input as to the drug EMEND taken prior to weight loss surgery to prevent nausea. My sugery is Tuesday morning and just wanted some input as to whether or not the drug is worth the expense (heard it was costly). Thanks. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/12 9:51 am - WA
RNY on 08/21/12
I was wondering the same thing! Dr. Mcmahon gave me a prescription for it and I hear it's about 60 bucks or so, yikes!
sdb1147
on 8/12/12 9:58 am - Renton, WA
When I did my pre-surgery 'stuff' on Aug. 1st., EMEND was suggested, but due to the cost, I hesitated. Upon attending a group meeting (put on by Swedish) yesterday, all the members in the group strongly recommended it.

So, now I have to call Fred Meyer Pharmacy to see if they carry it, then call Swedish tomorrow morning and have Dr. McMahon or someone in his office send a Rx prescription.

My surgery is 10:00 AM Tuesday, Aug. 14th. and I have to be at the hospital at 7:30 AM. 

Chihuahuan
on 8/12/12 10:44 am - New York, NY
RNY on 05/16/12
That is so funny how all these surgeons and hospitals kind of do their own things.  I didn't have to have any anti-emetics prior to surgery 4 miles up the road.  Instead I had to get Lovenox blood thinner for a month after.  Thank G*d I had insurance as it is like $1500 for a month supply.   Good luck with your surgery!!  Swedish is a great hospital.  I was already established with UW so went there.  Swedish is like 2 blocks from where I live so it would have been more convenient.   Don't know if you have a good support system but if you find you need something while you are in the hospital, I am literally around the corner here on Pill HIll.  

sdb1147
on 8/12/12 10:56 am - Renton, WA
I've found that there are apparently no standard requirements from one hospital or doctor to another. Reading input from OH members, their requirements are/were slightly different.

Thank goodness I have Medicare & Aetna Insurance helping me financially, otherwise I'd never be able to afford weight loss surgery.

When I gasped at the cost of EMEND, one of the group members asked me how much I spend on a tub/package of protein powder. That made it relevant. Powders run $40.00+ so why shouldn't I go for the anti-nausea Rx. Most everyone there said it was worth it.

You mentioned Levenox and I haven't heard that product mentioned at all from the Swedish Weight Loss Center or Dr. McMahon. Of course after my surgery there will probably be a few prescriptions to be filled...I thin****ep hearing Prilosec or Omeprizol (for stomach acids). I'm thinking, I have no more stomach, why would I need stomach medications. LOL.

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/12 1:40 pm - WA
RNY on 08/21/12
I should've gone to that support group meeting yesterday. It sounds like it's totally worth it then. I also get my prescriptions at Fred Meyer, let me know how much cost there, if you get the chance.  A friend of mine had her surgery done by Dr. McMahon and he's been really great from the get go and her surgery is a complete success, which is why I chose him too.

Good luck on Tuesday!

I'm up at bat on the 21st, couldn't come soon enough for me!
(deactivated member)
on 8/12/12 4:57 am, edited 8/12/12 4:57 am
They had me on Toradol and then Reglan (after the Toradol was messing with my kidneys)  in the hospital and at my own request, gave me Phenergan pills to take after I got home from surgery. Those are cheap and very effective. It's really just an antihistamine so I didn't worry about it at all. I was scared to death of the Oxycontin. That stuff knocked me for a LOOP. I hate narcotic pain killers anyway, they make me feel like $#!^

That wasn't a great answer to your question, but consider talking to your doctor about something else if you're concerned about the cost. Anti-nausea meds are not novel or special drugs and I don't think they need to be costly or come with any bad side effects aside from groggy and sleepy in order to be effective. 

Zeigled
on 8/12/12 2:11 pm - Parkton, MD
I've taken in prior to surgery - works WONDERFULLY.  It is very expensive but this is the only time I haven't had any nausea after surgery.  I always get nauseous after surgeries and with the Emend it didn't happen.  I'd spend the money for it.
HW 357 SW 341   

sdb1147
on 8/12/12 3:37 pm - Renton, WA
 Thank you for the feedback. Called Fred Meyer's Pharmacy and they do carry EMEND. Just have to call Dr. McMahon's office & have them fax or call in the prescription.

Really getting excited for Tuesday morning to come.

Capt_Kirk
on 8/12/12 3:54 pm - WA
RNY on 06/12/12
On August 12, 2012 at 10:37 PM Pacific Time, sdb1147 wrote:
 Thank you for the feedback. Called Fred Meyer's Pharmacy and they do carry EMEND. Just have to call Dr. McMahon's office & have them fax or call in the prescription.

Really getting excited for Tuesday morning to come.
 Congrats.  My wife is getting her sleeve done on Monday from Dr. McMahon.

My best advice to you is, get out of bed as soon as you can.  They gave me a hard time in ICU, but I told them I wanted to walk.  They finally said ok, and we were able to.
Most Active
Recent Topics