Exercise- can you give me your experience please

graceinpas
on 8/17/12 9:48 pm
 I had RNY done 1/12/12 I have lost 80 lbs after 0 exercise and practically being bedridden for the entire time since surgery (gall bladder removal, hernia repair and acute diverticulitis- in hospital for 6 weeks over past 7 months and in bed most of the rest of the time).  

So now it's exercise time.  How much do you guys do?  What are your recommendations of where to start?  What should I expect when I add excersise to my weight loss now?  Will I slow down as I am at 7 months out or what are your opinions?

Thanks very much, this has been a very difficult year.

Saying good bye to the fat, uncomfortable life I am living and hello to a thinner, more active second half of life!!!!    
SoCaPinkLady
on 8/17/12 10:42 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/12
I would start out by just walking. Walk as far as you can comfortably can each day. Increasing as you feel up to it as you build your stamina.

Lori                               

nfarris79
on 8/18/12 4:34 am - Germantown, MD
 Start slow & low intensity. Every day, increase your time/intensity/activity by a little bit.... Start thinking about what will work for you - what you enjoy, what goals you're trying to attain, etc.
When I wrote my "why I wanna have surgery" letter for my surgeon, my first sentence was "I wanna be a runner". I would see fit & cute girls running around our neighborhood lake, and want to BE them! I'd loathed running thru my whole childhood and had this impulse that if I could conquer the running aversion, I would be truely changed. After a few months post-op, I started walking. Several times a week. And I began to enjoy it - "me" time, being with nature, improving on how far or how long I could walk. Then I began to pick up speed: walking faster, adding short bursts of jogging. I got a treadmill on Craigslist and began to practice jogging: 30 seconds, 60 seconds, 1/4 mile...... It's slow progress but helped me not get overwhelmed. And now I'm training for a 1/2 marathon!!! (BTW: anyone reading this, if you feel charitable, click on the link on my signature line to help me raise money for CCFA and get my butt to Vegas to RUN 13.1 miles!!!!!!)

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

never2late4change
on 8/18/12 4:37 am - Virginia Beach, VA
RNY on 07/18/12
I agree that you should walk. If you are still fragile bring a friend annd walk in loops as not to venture too far from home. You can do minor strenght training with resistance bands or just lift a few cans of beans. You can do light stretching on your floor or up against a wall. There are even exercises that you can do from a chair until you feel stronger.

Highest Weight: 283.6,  Post Op Weight: 273.6, Goal Weight: 160 lbs 

graceinpas
on 8/18/12 8:23 am
 That's exactly the problem! I am like one loose skin sack right now so I was hoping to get that formed up a bit- bands are a great idea!!! I will start walking today. Thanks so much both of you!!!

Saying good bye to the fat, uncomfortable life I am living and hello to a thinner, more active second half of life!!!!    
SoCaPinkLady
on 8/18/12 9:16 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12
You're welcome!! Good luck!!!!

Lori                               

graceinpas
on 8/18/12 10:51 pm
 nfarris- I have always wanted to run too.  I am going to follow your routine (I kind of used to do that when I was in better shape and it works).  I'd love to know how you are doing now and did it really speed up your weight loss (as an added benefit).  I'd love to know.

thanks

Most Active
Recent Topics