Another hernia surgery - advice about tummy tuck and skin removal

cookiebaby
on 8/22/12 10:21 am - Alton, IL
Okay - I've got another hernia - this one requires general anesthesia and mesh.  I talked to the surgeon about the possibility of a tummy tuck (if I could figure out a way to pay for it).  He did say that because I had a lot of scars with adhesions on my stomach that the results may not be as cosmetically pleasing as I may like.  I need some input from those of you that have had this done.  I can imagine that anything that is better than my "butt in the front" with all the saggy skin would please me.  I have  an up and down c-section scar and numerous scars from my weight loss surgeries.  It seems like my one chance - not sure what to think.  I'd like to hear from those of you with similar experiences.
laura_vermont
on 8/22/12 11:05 am
I had a lower cut c-sect scar & my rny scars -- my hernia repair was the surprise, hernia was found during what was scheduled as a panniculectomy.  Bonus for me was the muscle work was done to repair the hernia.  My c-section scar was completely removed during the procedure.  I had major stretch marks, and those are still there, with the lap scars.  Still, I love my results.  I have early out tummy pics on my profile here.  It looks even better now. 

I hope you can find a way to do it!  It made a world of difference in my self image. 

Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/22/12 6:21 pm - OH
Even if it does not look perfect when you are nude, it will make a huge difference when you are clothed.   My my tuck incision turned necrotic and I ended up with a giant triangular-shaped "crater" in my belly that took 5 months to heal, so I now have scars over my ribcage and under my breasts (I had a "reverse" tummy tuck... A true "T" shape) that look like burn scars (and some stretch marks as well) so I won't be wearing a bikini ever, but I love having a flat tummy for the first time in my adult life.  Even with the scarring, and with the little mini spots of residual fat on my sides above my waist (I did not want to pay several hundred dollars more for lipo since I was completely self pay), it looks SO much better than when I had all that extra skin, and no one can see the imperfections when I am clothed.

Because of my complication, I won't ever encourage someone to have any plastic surgery, but I can say that, even with the complication, I am glad that I had it done.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cookiebaby
on 8/26/12 7:36 pm - Alton, IL
 Thanks for the responses.  I doubt I would be able to even consider putting my family through having me under for the extra time but it's my one shot at this so I wanted all opinions.  I got an ear full from a friend over the weekend because I was even entertaining the idea.  I know you all understand why I even consider it.  Thank you for your input.  Even getting rid of this alien poking out of my upper tumm (my hernia, lol) will be an improvement.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views