My Five Year Anniversary

jennstar
on 8/23/12 10:24 pm - CA
RNY on 08/20/07 with
Obesityhelp emailed me and reminded me it was my 5 year anniversary and asked if I'd come back to share my story in order to help others because there are few long terms here on the site.  So I came back to update my blog and give an honest opinion of what I went through. The last time I was here was 2 1/2 years ago.  A lot has changed since then.  Please visit my blog if you are looking for an insight into a long term post op experience.  And keep in mind everyone is different. 
Take care and good luck,
Jenny
Allen Y.
on 8/24/12 12:38 am - Garland, TX
 Very nice very real update. Except that I went over the edge and regained my weight, we are extreamly the same.

I am on round two and and again loosing.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/24/12 2:39 am - OH
 I'm sorry that you have had nutritional issues.  I had my surgery 7 days after you, and other than trouble getting my Vit D up (it was 9 originally!) and some trouble with my Vit K (which is quite unusual), I have had no lab issues.

I wish the sleeve had been available 5 years ago.  I probably would have traded losing weight more slowly with the sleeve (and the option for converting to full DS if needed)  for avoiding the vitamin absorption problems and NSAID restrictions of the RNY.  I am not nappy with my RNY, just kind of bummed that the option of he sleeve wasn't available then.

Lota

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

scho5
on 8/24/12 3:22 am - WI
 Thank you for sharing your story.  Very informative.  I wish you all the best.
avivaps
on 8/24/12 4:25 am
RNY on 02/28/12
 Thank you for your honest and balanced approach.  I'm sorry things have been tough but you should be proud of all your hard work and how you have advocated for yourself.

I hope you have turned a critical corner and with time continue to notice improved health and wellness. 

Andrea

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

Larry Wassmann
on 8/24/12 6:26 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
Thank you so much for posting, I wish more people would take the time to help others by blogging their expenses. Your comments about fat farm echo mine completely. My surgery team were very professional and checked and double checked everything. I had to go through months of tests of all kinds before surgery. I have had blood tests and check ups with them 2 weeks after, 1 month after 3 months, will have 6 months and then every 6 months there after for 2 years and then my PCP does it every year. I can not believe how some folks are treated or should I say not treated. I got slammed for saying this but even places that are supposed to be certified seem to abandoned some of us after they get the money. No real on-going support or little documentation going forward. I still say if you are a certified center, things should be more standardized with minor variations for the patient and surgeon. But to me it seems to be Willey-Nellie hit and miss. In my field if you were certified you followed standards, but I am not sure some of these folks hocking surgery are really doing that. Even what should be routine blood tests and evaluations were not done. People have died because of things like this. And we paid $45,000 for this????? 
You have overcome some significant problems and complications. Your problems with medications and alcohol you have overcome to your credit. You will have others but because you are strong, you know you can handle those things in the future. Use your experiences and learning times you can call back to mind when other things come up. 
Logging and measuring must go on for the rest of our lives. If we don’t everyone will eventually drift off plan. I know those out there who say well I have done this for X years, don’t weigh anything and doing fine. Well how about 20 years from now?
Anyway you are a great example. You are actively working with your tool. You have taken the correct measures to bring you to a successful life and I congratulate you. Thanks for letting us glimpse into your life for a time.   

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/24/12 7:57 am
Thanks. I had my surgery 5 months before you had yours.

I also dealt with a lot of issues that you were dealing with. I also wish I had the VSG.  but we got what we got and we deal with that.

Just recently I gave up gluten, and most grains and starchy carbs.  On top of everything else- I also have severe RH (reactive hypoglycemia) that reacts to carbs. Almost any carbs.  Grains, milk, starchy carbs in veggies - are the worst. Even fruits are no longer on my diet.  The ups and down of my BSugar were horrible.  I rather not eat fruits than to deal with that. 

So what remains: so far I can eat: meat, fish, non-starchy veggies, some Greek yogurt (full fat), eggs, nuts and seeds.  
My treat is 85% dark chocolate. The fat in that and really low sugar contents makes that OK treat so far.  I also do not use artificial sweeteners or flavors. I use stevia or erythritol, and try to eat as natural as I can.

For iron - I just got my iron infusions and it I already can feel a difference.  The side effects are not nice - but I take that over the low energy and depression.

Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Zeigled
on 8/24/12 8:00 am - Parkton, MD
It really sounds like you have learned a lot about yourself during this whole process.  Great update.
HW 357 SW 341   

jennstar
on 8/24/12 7:40 pm - CA
RNY on 08/20/07 with
Thank you, all, for the heart felt comments.  I wish you all the best of luck on your individual journeys.  Stay strong and faithful to yourselves!  We struggle more than people know... and they say we've chosen the "easy" way out.
Most Active
Recent Topics