gas - painful and bloated

Laurie A.
on 8/24/12 3:16 am
RNY on 08/21/12
I need some help. I know the best things for the gas pains are walking and gas x, both of which I am doing faithfully. The problem is the only gas I can pass is when I burp and my stomach feels SO bloated it feels like it is pulling on the incisions and making them hurt. I am trying to avoid the pain medicine unless I am going to bed (to help me sleep) so it doesn't contribute to lack of BM, have restarted taking Miralax and my DH is getting me milk of mag this am. Any other suggestions?? I haven't had a BM since 8/21 and that was my surgery date.
The Lord will not give me more than I can handle! Through Him, all things are possible!!        
Kaoz789
on 8/24/12 3:24 am
 Don't worry about the BM yet. You're on liquids and it will come eventually. I was nearly 3 weeks before I had one post surgery, which I was exceedingly greatful for. 

Walking and moving does best help the gas. Buuuut here's a sneaky for you.

If you have a lazyboy chair, go sit in it and elevate your body in different ways periodically. I could actually get my shoulders beneath my hips on mine, which helped a lot!

Roll in your bed as best you can.

Go ahead and get a friend to give you a baby burp massage every once in a while, work that air up and out!

Welcome to the losing side!

Laurie A.
on 8/24/12 4:10 am
RNY on 08/21/12
Thanks for the advice. I don't have a lazy boy, but my 4 yr old does like to "burp us" so maybe I'll let her try. lol. I just finished a 1/2 mile walk and was able to pass a small amount of gas, which did feel a little better so and my gut is definately rumbling!
The Lord will not give me more than I can handle! Through Him, all things are possible!!        
artroxy blue
on 8/24/12 4:24 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Try taking some Miralax to get things moving, and drink as much water, Crystal Light, etc. that you can tolerate. Hope that helps! 
poet_kelly
on 8/24/12 4:43 am - OH
Try some hot peppermint tea.  If you have a rocking chair, sometimes rocking helps.  Keep in mind, when you feel like you're going to fart, it may not just be air coming out.  Hence the saying never trust a fart!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Laurie A.
on 8/24/12 4:49 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Lol. Good point. I have already started Miralax, but i will have to try to find some peppermint tea. That sounds good right now too!. Thanks!

Yahaira81
on 8/24/12 12:32 am, edited 8/24/12 12:32 am
RNY on 08/16/12
Having someone burp you really does help, my husband rubbed my back consistently and it really helped me. Walk and sip your liquids and eat your food (if on your plan). I found that eating and drinking helped with the gas.

There's really no one way to do it.

And I had my first BM exactly a week after surgery. I did use Milk of Magnesia.

Yahaira

5'5". SW: 268/CW: 204/GW: 140

Most Active
Recent Topics