fix it surgery on Friday

emmykins132000
on 8/28/12 9:44 am
So on Friday I am having surgery to fix me up.  I had RNY almost 4 years ago and have done well, lost a lot of weight and kept it off, eating very healthy, etc.  Well now i have to have surgery because i have been throwing up every day.  Apparently it "candy cane syndrome" where they have to go in and remove part of the intestine where food gets backed up into.  I'm really not that worried about the surgery because my surgeon is great. I am however very worried about the pain and recovery.  I had a very bad experince following my orignal surgery and they didn't get my pain under control for almost 5 hours. I was just screaming and crying for hours.  Now to complicate things i am already taking Fentanyl and Nucynta for severe back pain and I am worried that they won't be able to control my pain. UGH. I am losing sleep and downing antacids over this.  I've take the initiative to speak to the anesthesiologist and have a message into my surgeon specifically regarding pain management, but i just can't relax.  I thought maybe i could vent here and someone mught have a suggestion to help relax. 
Thanks,
emily
Amy Smith
on 8/28/12 10:54 am
If it is any help, I had the same problem, but mine was a few months after my original RNY.  Supposedly it was as adhesion and when he went in to clean things up, the hook of the candy cane had grown and he ended up cutting it.  Honestly, I was not taking pain meds at the time so I can not relate to that part, but my only pain was from the incisions.  There was not drainage tube and I was out the next day.  (It would have been outpatient, but I have low blood pressure and it takes a lot to get it back up after surgery.)  Honestly, the incisions were the only pain I had, NOTHING internal at all. 
Not sure that was any help, but I don't know many people with "candy cane syndrome."  Mine was foudn a few days before Christmas and I thought my surgeon was being funny.  For me they couldn't see the candy cane on testing b/c I had a web of adhesions pulling EVERYTHING to the left! :-)
Also, I expected to need to go back to purees or soft foods, but that was not the case.

I may have had a few extra potholes along the way, but the journey has been good!   

• RNY- Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery - Dr. Peters 8/09 
  • Medial Thigh lift & Brachioplasty - Dr. Macrea 7/2011  
  • LBL - Dr. Joseph Michaels (Sibley Memorial) 12/22/2011
  • Upper Body Lift with Mastoplexy - Dr. Joseph Michaels 12/20/2012

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 8/28/12 12:43 pm - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
Before my RNY I went off Norco because I was afraid that the pain meds and anesthesia would be a problem, boy did I suffer for 2 weeks!!
I am now on Butrans pain patch and Norco for break through pain.
Is someone staying in the hospital with you? if so they need to be assertive in getting you what you need.
I am sure once you talk to your surgeon and anesthesiologist you will feel better, they just need to convey to the nursing staff that you may need more pain meds than the average bear !!
They are the ones that take care of us and have the potential to screw things up
Hope things go really well for you !!

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

jbird1972
on 9/1/12 1:57 pm, edited 9/1/12 1:57 pm - Cary, IL
 I hope everything went well for you, I'm really worried about you. I've been in and out of the hospital the last 2 months, so I haven't been on here as much. I hope this was indeed the problem, and not another surgery you could do without. Speak up about your pain, no one should be in pain. Please update me as to how to you are doing after this surgery. 
Jules 
RNY 10/30/07
Surgeon Heydari

Jules RNY 10/30/2007

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?