When did sugar bother you?

artroxy blue
on 9/1/12 7:29 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I'm curious to know when sugar started bothering you? 

I went to a support meeting the other day, and several people said nothing bothers them post-op (they're all 9 months+ out), but then there were others who said they don't even go out to eat anymore because of hidden sugars in food. 

Did you experience dumping? Other symptoms new to you? 
THE_life10
on 9/1/12 7:42 pm
RNY on 03/26/12
I'm the post-oper that treads lightly when it comes to sugar because I'm terrified of dumping.
BUT..In recent weeks I have experimented a little and did not dump on what I thought I would dump on.

Example : I had a snack sized piece of a butter finger ...nothing happened...I had a cookie ..nothing happened...

I had 2 chicken wings at a bar .....dumped.....I had a piece of regular bacon with bfast...dumped...

So my theory is that I AM a dumper..just not on sugar...I tend to dump on things that are high in fat/grease.now im not saying that i will NEVER dump on sugar..these are just my experiences thus far.

right lol I'm still getting to know my pouch ..i dont think the "getting-to-know-your-pouch" phase will ever end .

Height: 5'9 Hw: 285 Sw: 272  Cw: 167 Surg. goal: 165

1m: -20 2m: :-18 3m:-10

4m:-12 5m:8 6m:-4 7m:-3 8m-10:-28

artroxy blue
on 9/1/12 7:48 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 LOL Very true! 

Coach2012
on 9/1/12 9:08 pm
 I had a crazy moment on my birthday and decided to eat a small-sized piece of fruit tart. The kind with custard and a graham cracker crust, and the fruit covered in a sugary glaze, and nothing bad happened. No dumping, or even any queasiness, which now means I have to be extra careful that I'm making the right choices and am not cheating myself. I swear my pouch is made of iron, because I've never had any issues with anything I've tried so far, such as plain water, popcorn, chicken, other meats, veggies, etc. etc. that a lot of others seem to have problems with. I go out to eat frequently but try to pick places where there's a menu online with nutrition info that I can use to plan ahead and make good choices. I always get some type of grilled chicken or fish dish, with no sauces, with veggies instead of potatos/pasta, and then eat a small portion and take the rest home and eat it the next few days or give it to family members. I think going out to eat is very doable and you're not doomed to never go out again, you just have to make good choices and plan ahead. I'm not sure what those people are eating when they go out but I'm guessing if they're talking about "hidden sugars" in foods they aren't neccesarily choosing a lean, grilled meat to order.

artroxy blue
on 9/2/12 5:23 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I think this woman was explaining her early experiences, and not asking about sauces' ingredients. This woman is a year and a half out, and seems to be very sensitive to sugar now. She's extremely cautious about ordering, and knows immediately if something has sugar in it. I guess she's a "Sugar Whisperer"...
Kelly L.
on 9/1/12 9:20 pm - San Jacinto, CA
 I am ten months out. I am pretty sure I am not really a dumper. I have eaten an occasional Oreo, or a snack size candy bar upon occasion. Tonight we are camping and I had a toasted marshmallow! Now, there are only 3 grams of sugar in one marshmallow so I was probably safe even if I were a dumper but still... I have never "dumped" .. I do not tolerate high fat foods very well, they make me feel very ill. 

HW 274. CW 129

Dee.spunk
on 9/1/12 10:09 pm - Sacramento, CA
Even the thought of eating a marshmallow makes me queasy! I dump. And it's not pleasant. My hubby bought me some chocolates at See's and got regular, not sugar free. I had asked for sugar free peanut butter cups, but apparently he didn't hear the SF part. Anyways, I ate half of one piece and started feeling suck right away. Never again! I have to be careful cause I never know what'll make me sick.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Lady Lithia
on 9/2/12 1:02 am
not everyone dumps.

I dumped 24 hours postop. I was given Glucerna. Yuck

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Gail S.
on 9/2/12 5:10 am - New York, NY
I didn't try anything that could make me dump until I was pretty far out from my surgery date. Yes, I dump, but it is very unpredictable. I can eat several squares of dark chocolate with no problem. That's the treat I like and have maybe once a week and have never dumped on dark chocolate.  On occasion, I try other sweets like two bites of my bf's baked alaska or a few bites of my sister's fudge and I end up with my head over the toilet. Dumping is a horrible experience and can keep you on your food plan!

nfarris79
on 9/2/12 8:17 am - Germantown, MD
 I dumped early on but sensitivity has changed over time. I didn't try things that I knew would cause a dump until at least 6mo postop but the "surprise" dumps caught me off guard: mashed potatoes per the instructions of a NUT that I NEVER went back to (1 mo postop), small piece of watermelon (2 mo postop), sugar-free applesauce (1 mo postop), full-fat kielbasa (2 mo postop).... etc. At 17 mo postop, I can do all fruits, low fat frozen yogurt, higher fat foods like sausuage, BUT still have not ventured into the bakery section. No reason to "test" my dumping threshold with unhealthy things and haven't dumped in several months, mercifully.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 389 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 495 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 477 views