2.5 weeks out and need advice

Laurie A.
on 9/7/12 7:58 am
RNY on 08/21/12
I hope this is a common problem...I think I overdid it yesterday with food. I am now thinking that when I thought I was hungry it was actually head hunger or bordem and ate too much. I measure out my servings every time and only eat 2 oz volume at each time. I had 3 servings of egg salad (with low fat miracle whip) and 2 servings of meatless chili (mild only). I ate at 8, 11:30, 2:30, 5:00, 9:00, and went to bed at 11pm. All day, I felt like I was hungry. Today, I'm not hungry at all and even feel full still. I ate 1 serving of egg sald for breakfast at 7:30 and 9:30 (1/2 serving each time because I was too full to eat the whole thing). Should I just lay off the food today and just let the pouch rest??? I'm getting in at least the minimum of 64 oz fluid and minimum 64 gm protein.
The Lord will not give me more than I can handle! Through Him, all things are possible!!        
Jen V.
on 9/7/12 8:27 am - Waterford Township, MI
RNY on 06/29/12

It does not sound like you are eating too much. 2oz is a good amount and the times you are eating are spaced out just fine. Many people eat every 2 hours, and you are eating every 3 hours. My doctor only has me eating 3 times a day. He does not think I should be having snacks. What does your doctor say about how often you should be eating? If he did not tell you how often to eat, you could just eat three times a day if you are not hungry that often, but I would not lay off food for the day. That would slow down your metabolism. 

badkitten
on 9/7/12 8:29 am
keep eating - it will keep your metabolism up.....I eat 6 times a day about 200 cals a time.....1/2 cup or so of food at each sitting
and keep drinking!

Amy R.
on 9/7/12 8:37 am
On September 7, 2012 at 7:58 AM Pacific Time, Laurie A. wrote:
I hope this is a common problem...I think I overdid it yesterday with food. I am now thinking that when I thought I was hungry it was actually head hunger or bordem and ate too much. I measure out my servings every time and only eat 2 oz volume at each time. I had 3 servings of egg salad (with low fat miracle whip) and 2 servings of meatless chili (mild only). I ate at 8, 11:30, 2:30, 5:00, 9:00, and went to bed at 11pm. All day, I felt like I was hungry. Today, I'm not hungry at all and even feel full still. I ate 1 serving of egg sald for breakfast at 7:30 and 9:30 (1/2 serving each time because I was too full to eat the whole thing). Should I just lay off the food today and just let the pouch rest??? I'm getting in at least the minimum of 64 oz fluid and minimum 64 gm protein.
I see you are only about 2 weeks out.  What does  your surgeon's eating plan say you should be doing?  If it's not clear, you should give them a call to have them clarify.

I only ask because every surgeon is different, but I wasn't allowed soft foods like egg salad or chili until I was six weeks out. No solid food until week 9.

Congrats on your surgery, and best of luck to you on your journey=)
supermom.lisa
on 9/7/12 1:22 pm - TX
RNY on 08/13/12
I felt like that too around the 2 and 3rd week. but i think its more from being on liquids for so long. I just wanted something different. I would say check with your Dr to be sure not over doing it. and when you feel full then you just feel full. as long as your still getting your fluids and protein you should be ok.
walterswife
on 9/8/12 5:40 am
 You should make sure you are eating according to your surgeon's plan. I was only able to move to solids after eight weeks but every surgeon has a different protocol. I had to force myself to eat that fat out. 

After after 4 or so months I started eating 5 times daily. I upped it to six when I was ready to stop losing. 

Are you making other high protein choices?  Don't want you to get bored so early out. How about the shakes?

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Laurie A.
on 9/8/12 6:28 am
RNY on 08/21/12
My surgeon's plan counts chili and egg salad as pureed foods and they have us chew them to a pureed consistency. I later had a massive BM (sorry TMI) and that relieved a lot of pressure I was feeling. Thanks for all the input.
The Lord will not give me more than I can handle! Through Him, all things are possible!!        
Most Active
Recent Topics