Paying the price

Wirick27
on 9/10/12 9:31 pm
 So I drank a Odwall Super protein drink, yes I saw the high sugars but figured that since they were all natural sugars from the fruits it would be ok. Wrong my stomach started hurting gradually about 15 min after. Now I can't move without my stomach hurting , the only thing that helps is curling up in a ball. No other dumping symptoms at all, just abdominal pains. Anyone know a way to calm my angry little tummy? Anyone had this reaction?
SoCaPinkLady
on 9/10/12 9:36 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/12
I hope you feel better soon!!!

Lori                               

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/10/12 10:36 pm - OH
By now, the liquid is well out of your pouch an into your intestine (one of the drawbacks of drinking fluids that may have questionable content) and there is probably very little you are going to be able to do to calm things down other than wait it out.

True dumping would give you symptoms other than the pain (dumping does not normally cause the type of pain you are describing... Just lots of very unpleasant other things that might include abdominal cramping), but if the one you drank was similar to the Mango one in terms of nutritional profile, 40g of sugar -- even natural fruit sugar -- is a lot for your body to process, especially when it is liquid and all gets sent into the intestine at once.  I was warned to be much more aware of the sugar content in liquids than in foods for that reason.

I sure hope you feel better soon.  I tried the Mango Odwalla, but 260 calories, 40g of sugar/carbs, and only 20g of protein isnt an acceptable nutritional profile for me.  The protein supplements I use are 100 cal for 20g of protein or 150-160 calories for 32-40g of protein (and no carbs in either).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Loveshinesthru
on 9/10/12 10:51 pm - Mesa, AZ
 odwalla is much higher in sugar than bolthouse farms. I love their mango protein drink and it doesnt taste chalky either. it has carrots and banana in it too.

HW: 314 SW: 297 CW:166

wmamey
on 9/11/12 1:28 am
RNY on 06/18/12
I noticed Bolthouse Farms drinks this week and some of them sound rather good. Are you able to tolerate them? I saw that they are high in carbs and sugars. I don't want any chance of dumping so I avoid anything high sugar.
Is the Bolthouse Farms worth trying?

Loveshinesthru
on 9/13/12 3:52 pm - Mesa, AZ
 Sorry had to take hubby to the hospital to have his surgery. Didnt get back home til now. They are lower in sugar than the odwallas, and dont taste chalky. buy a small one to see if you can tolerate it.  they have 3 different protein drinks. chocolate, coffee and mango. I also drink the green goodness to get my veggies in. I dont drink them both on the same day though. Although I suppose i could if i did 8 oz of each. my hubby likes the coffee and chocolate but i like the mango best. 

HW: 314 SW: 297 CW:166