Tummy Tuck after Surgery

kzvtiki06
on 9/11/12 9:42 am - San Juan, TX

Does anyone know what the name of the procedure abdominoplasty (Also known as Tummy TUCK) called that some insurance authorizes for Bypass patients to have like after 1-2 yrs. I dont think its called that when the patient is asking for approval. I maybe wrong. Im asking because someone told me that this procedure is different from the Tummy Tuck. Other Patients mentioned to me that their surgeons have advised them that if they want to have this procedure done that its not as pretty or worth it and recommended just to have the Tummy Tuck instead. I was not aware there were different kinds of tummy tucks.

Im trying to figure out what the difference is between them.

Thanks!
Mary E.

wmamey
on 9/11/12 9:48 am
RNY on 06/18/12
Could it be -

Panniculectomy

pschaudt
on 9/11/12 1:55 pm - MI
Hi Mary,

I think you mean a panniculectomy. That's what I had done after maintaining a 100+ lb loss. I don't regret it, but I'd have to say it's not pretty. The procedure, at least the way my surgeon did it, left a large scar, left to right, with no contouring so it left "points" where my hipbones would stick out (if i were thin haha). Now I look like I have two sets of boobs!! Granted, it was better than the huge flap of skin I had hanging in the front, but yeah, I was disappointed. If insurance allows it, definitely go for the regular abdominoplasty.

Had RNY 8/8/98 (high weight just under 300 lb.) Lowest was 155; 14 years post-op and I'm at 200, struggling to lose the 45 I've gained since getting married and having my children. Overall, still thrilled with the results of the RNY!!

Peggy S.
Hollie313
on 9/11/12 2:18 pm - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
Alot of insurances will cover a panniculectomy.  That is the removal of loose skin after
losing major amounts of weight.  A tummy tuck actually tightens the stomach muscles.
Alot of insurances will cover the panniculectomy, but not a tummy tuck.  Alot of them consider
a tummy tuck cosmetic and not medically necessary.

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

emelar
on 9/11/12 2:20 pm - TX
The panniculectomy removes only the pannus - the part of the abdomen that is below the belly button.  It doesn't include tightening the abdominal muscles or take care of the skin above the belly button.  Depending on the size of the pannus and whether you have any problems (like rashes) from it, insurance might cover a panniculectomy as a medically necessary procedure.  Most insurance won't cover the abdominoplasty.
Ladytazz
on 9/11/12 8:18 pm
I had my panni removed about 9 years ago and I am glad I did.  Even with a 100 lb regain it bounced right back after I lost weight again.  No, it's not pretty but it looks good in clothes and clothes fit me so much better.  My revision was open and now my upper stomach is all saggy and puckered but I can live with it.
What some people have done is if they can get the panni removal paid for they can make arrangements to pay the difference for the full tummy tuck.  It will be a lot less because you are already in the operating room and have the anesthesiologist so you would just pay the difference between the two procedures.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 348 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 448 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 435 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views