help! soft food restaurant choices

Tracey K.
on 9/14/12 6:31 am - NJ
RNY on 08/24/12
 I am on the final phase (soft foods) before returning to normal foods, and I have to go to an italian restaurant today for lunch for a group meeting at work, and again on saturday for a family birthday celebration, any suggestions on what i should choose? I was thinking since my surgeon said soft cheeses, maybe a caprese salad would be best, or a minesrone soup? eggplant parm i know is soft, but loaded with cals...  I don't know if these restaurants have fish like tilapia i can just get broiled or i would definitely go with that... HELP!!!! LOL 

cajungirl
on 9/14/12 6:33 am
Can you try to find their menu on-line?  A soup would be a good option and even a dish with shrimp just skip the pasta.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Dave Chambers
on 9/14/12 7:43 am - Mira Loma, CA

Newer post ops "take their chances" in a restuarant.  Multiple posts on reactions to restuarant foods have appeared here.  Cooking methods (oils, seasonings), ingredients, chance of higher sugar content than expected, etc.  Unless you've had salad at home already, dressings or the lettuce alone may cause diarrhea.  There may be a big difference in "what you can have" and what you actually tolerate well. Good luck on this adventure. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Tracey K.
on 9/14/12 7:49 am - NJ
RNY on 08/24/12
 It's not like ai have much of a choice... its a busniess meeting and a birthday dinner, I'd much rather cook myself, because I know exactly what's in it, but that's not always and option! 
Dave Chambers
on 9/14/12 8:03 am - Mira Loma, CA

I understand. Just make your selection carefully, and ASK your service person any questions you may have about how the food is cooked, or about seasings you have issues with, etc. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

CindyKae64
on 9/14/12 8:43 am
RNY on 05/22/12
Whenever I ate at a resturant at that stage, I looked to see if I could order an egg, luckily the two times I went to a resturant at that stage I was able to order an egg the one time and the other I ordered refried beans. Good Luck!

It will hurt. It will take time. It will require dedication. It will require willpower. It requires sacrifice. There will be temptation. But, I promise you, when you reach your goal, it's WORTH IT! (Author Unknown). I feel this sums up my ongoing journey to a healthier me!

Zachariah
on 9/14/12 10:19 am
  I've had good luck with soups, just remember to eat SLOWLY and small bites.  If you eat too fast or too much you might get "foaming" and that's embarrassing in a public place (I know).  I can never eat a full menu item so I always ask for a doggie bag because I know I'll be taking half home.

Good luck on your business meeting and hang in there!
H.A.L.A B.
on 9/14/12 10:38 am
Fish - broiled - was always the choice for me... As long as you like fish and can tolerate it.
I would stay away from any salads... raw veggies - still give me issue some days.
Try also crab cake - the appetizer version.  As small as they can make it.

There may also be cheese plate. (cheese + fruits)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ArwensRose
on 9/14/12 12:58 pm
RNY on 09/06/12
Find the menu online so you can decide ahead of time.  If they don't have a menu online or you have questions, call and ask to talk to a manager.  Tell them your situation and that you will need to make sure its food that you can tolerate.  They may be willing to do something that is not normally on the menu if you call ahead of time and explain what is going on.  It would be a good challenge for the chef.