stretching of pouch

stitch1769
on 9/22/12 8:24 pm - PA
RNY on 09/10/12
I am currently 12 days post op, the entire 6months of my pre op  classes I was told that my new "pouch" would be about 3 oz or the size of an egg.  but I'm wondering.. more like parionoid, that I may have already stretched my pouch out ! i'm concerned b/c I can hardly ever tell if I'm full, which I now know is normal, I also have since learned that the grumbling/rumbling in my stomach is not hunger but also normal.

I was on a strict liquid diet 2 wks prior to my RNY, followed by limited liquids until day 9 when I was allowed to add yogurt, egg beaters, cottage/riccota cheese. and this will continue until about day 21 or so.

now when I eat I eat from anywhere on average 1/4 - 1/2 cup maximum and depending on what it is. if it is soup it appears to be more han 3 ozs , if it is cottage cheese I can usually eat 1/4 cup, yogurt if it is the 5.3 oz cont I'm pretty close to the 3oz, egg beaters are about 1/2 cup.
if I'm drinking sips of my protein shakes I get in about 5oz over 20/30 minutes.

Ive been using my measuring cups on everything except the soup, which I guess I should do !.
so basically  I'm concerned that i'm taking in too much food @ any given time.  I lost 11lbs w/in the 1st 9 days and I have another weigh in this coming week,  so am I being overly parionoid or is this about right?

Ladytazz
on 9/22/12 11:07 pm
I wish surgeon's offices would do a better job of informing people of what it will be like in the immediate post op period.  It seems that most people assume that they will experience a lot of fullness from day one.  The truth is that when you  have your surgery they are cutting nerves and you won't experience fullness or real hunger for a while.  That is why it is so important to measure everything because it can be easy to eat too much.  And with liquids they will go right through your new pouch so you will be able to consume a lot more then you would think.  They should have given you some kind of diet to follow when you get home.  My surgeon's office had me eating between 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup in the beginning and that is what I did.  I have to admit that I started with 1/2 cup.  I just could not believe that 1/4 cup would satisfy me.  It probably would have but I just couldn't believe it so I would have 1/2 cup of whatever from the beginning.  Even that didn't look like enough, especially for someone who was used to eating large quantities so I would have to tell myself that if I was still hungry I could get some more.  I never needed to but it was a big mental adjustment to learn to eat small amounts.
Of course a lot depends on the food.  With things like meat I could eat 2 or 3 oz, things like chili would be half a cup.  Protein shakes I could drink a full cup without a problem.  It was a long time before I could depend on my sense of fullness to tell me when I had enough.  Now I don't measure too much because it is almost impossible to eat too much at one time.  Like tonight we went out to eat and I had steak and shrimp.  I had about 5 shrimp and a few bites of steak and I just could not eat another bite if I wanted to.  But I am 2 years out.  In the first 6 months I had to measure to make sure I didn't eat too much.
You will also find after a while that you will have big pouch days and small pouch days.  Some days I get stuffed on a few bites and other days I feel like a bottomless pit but the truth is while I feel like I am eating a lot it is really a small amount compared to before surgery.
For now stick with measuring everything.  Not only will it keep you from eating too much it will also help you comprehend what a serving looks like.  For a fun experiment try cutting off some meat and see if you can guess with 2 oz looks like.  Then measure it and see how far off you are.  Same thing with a cup of cottage cheese.  If you are like me you will either measure way too much or way too little.  That is why measuring is such an important thing.  Now I could probably measure out half a cup of cottage cheese pretty close but at a few months out I would have been way off.  I just had no idea what a normal serving looked like.  Keep practicing until you are able to see what a serving looks like but until then depend on measuring things.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

cajungirl
on 9/23/12 5:03 am
On September 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM Pacific Time, Ladytazz wrote:
I wish surgeon's offices would do a better job of informing people of what it will be like in the immediate post op period.  It seems that most people assume that they will experience a lot of fullness from day one.  The truth is that when you  have your surgery they are cutting nerves and you won't experience fullness or real hunger for a while.  That is why it is so important to measure everything because it can be easy to eat too much.  And with liquids they will go right through your new pouch so you will be able to consume a lot more then you would think.  They should have given you some kind of diet to follow when you get home.  My surgeon's office had me eating between 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup in the beginning and that is what I did.  I have to admit that I started with 1/2 cup.  I just could not believe that 1/4 cup would satisfy me.  It probably would have but I just couldn't believe it so I would have 1/2 cup of whatever from the beginning.  Even that didn't look like enough, especially for someone who was used to eating large quantities so I would have to tell myself that if I was still hungry I could get some more.  I never needed to but it was a big mental adjustment to learn to eat small amounts.
Of course a lot depends on the food.  With things like meat I could eat 2 or 3 oz, things like chili would be half a cup.  Protein shakes I could drink a full cup without a problem.  It was a long time before I could depend on my sense of fullness to tell me when I had enough.  Now I don't measure too much because it is almost impossible to eat too much at one time.  Like tonight we went out to eat and I had steak and shrimp.  I had about 5 shrimp and a few bites of steak and I just could not eat another bite if I wanted to.  But I am 2 years out.  In the first 6 months I had to measure to make sure I didn't eat too much.
You will also find after a while that you will have big pouch days and small pouch days.  Some days I get stuffed on a few bites and other days I feel like a bottomless pit but the truth is while I feel like I am eating a lot it is really a small amount compared to before surgery.
For now stick with measuring everything.  Not only will it keep you from eating too much it will also help you comprehend what a serving looks like.  For a fun experiment try cutting off some meat and see if you can guess with 2 oz looks like.  Then measure it and see how far off you are.  Same thing with a cup of cottage cheese.  If you are like me you will either measure way too much or way too little.  That is why measuring is such an important thing.  Now I could probably measure out half a cup of cottage cheese pretty close but at a few months out I would have been way off.  I just had no idea what a normal serving looked like.  Keep practicing until you are able to see what a serving looks like but until then depend on measuring things.
 Excellent response. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

stitch1769
on 9/23/12 12:59 pm, edited 9/23/12 1:01 pm - PA
RNY on 09/10/12
Thank You Very Much. that is such a help and relief.  they did send me home w/ a strict liquid diet but, other than always telling us our "egg pouch" will be about 3 ozs we were never told amounts to eat and I never thought to ask. and while I always measure my cottage cheese, yogurt and egg beaters for some reason I didnt think to measure out my soup, I just "eyeballed" it. also we were never told that liquids pretty much run through. we were told not to drink 30 minutes prior, during or after eating b/c we need to focus on eating the protein rather than filling our pouch w/ liquids.

I also never considered the nerves in my stomach not working due to being cut, all we ever heard about in our support groups from people was that they know when to stop eating and about their feeling of fullness.. of course they are usually several months post op...
I guess its kind of like childbirth in how people say that you forget all the labor pains when you hold your baby... well I had 2 children  1 w/ an epidural 1 w/o anything and 15 years later I still remember what the pain was like.. maybe the programs need to hold a session on all the post op topics such as these.