Getting back on track with vitamins

solise
on 9/26/12 5:50 am - Brooklyn, NY
Im trying to get back on track with my vitamins since my hair has started falling out again. Anyone know how much D3 i need daily?
(deactivated member)
on 9/26/12 6:07 am
Depends what your labs say.  And since your hair is falling out, what DO they say? Hair falling out (unless you're newly post op) is almost always low ferritin and/or a lack of protein.
hlacy
on 9/26/12 6:37 am - Chandler, AZ
I was taking a 10,000 IU tab daily, and my D3 labs were high normal range. I am just taking half of it now.
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

poet_kelly
on 9/26/12 6:41 am - OH
What was your vitamin D level last time you had labs done?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Hillery82211
on 9/26/12 6:46 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with

I don't think Vitamin D levels are related to hair loss...there are studies that link low vitamin D levels with depression though.

Like someone else said, usually low iron levels or low blood protein levels will result in hair loss.  Your hair loss could also be completely unrelated to your vitamin intake and could signal some other issue with your body.

When was the last time you had labs taken?  What is your current vitamin schedule?  I'd suggest you go see your doc for a check up to rule out anything else. 

HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
Weighting2Bskinny
on 9/26/12 7:19 am
I need to take mine too, but I don't think my hair has been falling out. Thank God.

GOD BLESS YOU            
solise
on 9/26/12 7:34 am - Brooklyn, NY
Im not sure what my labs were for vitamin D....gotta check with my dr. Im not saying my hair is falling out because of vitamin D but thats the only vitamin im not sure of how much I should be taking. Im getting aggresssive with all my vitamins.

I have pre admissions testing for gallbladder surgery on friday so I'll be sure and talk to my dr about my hair loss and what could be causing it.

Its possible it could be my iron. Im due for my iron infusion in november.
poet_kelly
on 9/26/12 8:43 am - OH
Do you get a copy of your lab reports?  I recommend getting a copy each time you get labs done so you can see all the numbers.

Most RNY post ops need at least 10,000 IU D3 a day in order to maintaini a level of 80 or above, which is where we need it to be.  I have to take 50,000 IU D3 three times per week to keep my level around 100.

My guess about the hair loss would be iron or zinc deficiency.  You can ask your doc to order labs now and see if you need to do the iron infusion sooner than November.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

solise
on 9/26/12 9:07 am - Brooklyn, NY
Ok. Now how much D3 can the body absorb at one time? Is it 500mg like calcium?
poet_kelly
on 9/26/12 10:00 am - OH
On September 26, 2012 at 4:07 PM Pacific Time, solise wrote:
Ok. Now how much D3 can the body absorb at one time? Is it 500mg like calcium?
As far as I'm aware, there isn't a limit, no.  We can absorb at least 50,000 IU at a time.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 335 views