1 month check up... the doctor is happier than I am!

Tracey K.
on 9/27/12 9:56 pm - NJ
RNY on 08/24/12
 So I had my 1 month post op check up last night , and I am down 5 pounds since i saw her 4 weeks ago.  I was dissapointed with the number, but she seemed to be thrilled.  She said it is normal, especially transitioning to normal foods, to hit a number stall, but that I am losing inches, and although I haven't taken measurements, I am down about a size and a half (fitting into different articles of clothing in my variously sized wardrobe, that were not fitting before).  We did discuss however, that I may not be getting enough protien, because I just can not stand ANY protien shake. So to boost the protein I am going to incorporate 1/2 of a new whey protien bullet daily.  that 1.4 oz of liquid for 21g of protien, i think i can handle that.  I used them during 1st 2 weeks post op.  

So I guess down a total of 25lbs 5 weeks out (including pre op weight loss) is pretty good, and I should be proud of the work I am doing!  

Kay L.
on 9/27/12 10:21 pm - N., AL
"So I guess down a total of 25lbs 5 weeks out (including pre op weight loss) is pretty good, and I should be proud of the work I am doing!"

Yes, you should be proud. That is a good loss. Definitely up the protein. It helps with a lot of things, energy, healing AND weight loss. I don't know anything about the new whey protein bullets, but I know some of those are not a complete protein and don't do too much good for us. So read the nutritional information on them and make sure it's a complete protein (not collagen). Perhaps soon you will be able to get enough protein from regular food. That's the best way.

Congrats on the 25 lbs. lost!!
Tracey K.
on 9/27/12 10:33 pm - NJ
RNY on 08/24/12
 These were recommended by the surgeon, they havea complete protein matrix, including whey, collagen, AND casein.  However, yes my ultimate goal is to get the protein from foods.  :-)

and thank you!  

Kay L.
on 9/27/12 10:37 pm - N., AL
Sounds good. Those were not available back when I was a new post-op. I loved the protein bullets, but then found out they weren't really any good.
poet_kelly
on 9/27/12 11:13 pm - OH
I'm sorry your surgeon is recommending these.  Collagen is not a good source of protein.

If you want a protein shot, the only one that is a good source of protein is the Yes Whey brand from Bariatric Advantage.  Shots that contain collagen protein only have a very small amount of absorbable protein and are a waste of money.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Tracey K.
on 9/27/12 11:15 pm - NJ
RNY on 08/24/12
 :-(  That is dissapointing to hear, but good to know. Thanks Kelly!  
Kay L.
on 9/27/12 11:25 pm - N., AL
I am of the understanding that if collagen is only part of the ingredients, that is is okay. But Kelly is the all-knowing on all things nutritional, so I will defer.
Dave Chambers
on 9/28/12 12:36 am - Mira Loma, CA

Finding a protein shake "you like" can be an issue due to tastebud changes post op.  At 6 years post op, I still used a generic unflavored whey isolate protein that I mix with foods.  One of my favs is having Fage greek yogurt, mixed with SF pudding, and I then mix in about 12 g protein in a 3 oz serving.  I can also add SF syrups to get a caramel cheesecake flavor, blackberry chesesecake flavor, etc. Torani makes around 35 flavors of SF syrups.  You can also add unflavored whey isolate protein to SF pudding alone.  I was reading last night about making Greek style yogurt at home to save $$ each week, as my wife and I eat 2 of the 35oz cartons per week. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Skinnygirlme
on 9/28/12 1:41 am - UT
RNY on 09/05/12
 25 pounds is AWESOME!!! Great job!!!
  I believe in me...the best is yet to be!