A Glimmer of hope

cowgirl64505
on 10/3/12 7:04 am - Saint Joseph, MO
I'm three months from my three year anniversary from having roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery.  It is the best thing ever.  I feel fabulous, like a new person.  I have lots of energy.  But I have to admit, I'm still basically the same lazy person I was before, and I seriously lack self-discipline.  I don't really like to exercise.  And I absolutely refuse to count calories or stay on a diet.  I would much rather just eat healthy, as I was instructed to eat by my nutritionist before my surgery.  She said to eat my protein first at every meal, getting in at least 60 grams of protein every day, then have a bit of veggies, then just a tiny bit of carbs and only a few bites of sweets a day.  In that case I would not need to count calories nor worry about regaining the weight.

Except, for the past maybe six months - 9 months I have been on an eating frenzy.  I don't know what it is, but I have been completely out of control.  I still cannot eat too much at one sitting without vomiting, so instead I have been eating every hour or two.  So yes, that is almost every hour or two that I am awake.  So very bizarre.  And I am eating things that I don't even care for.  I am not allowing myself to fill up on stuff that would make me sick, such as Little Debbie Snack cakes or pie.  So I am just beside myself because I have been gaining weight exponentially.  I made an appointment with a psychiatrist, and had to take off of work for the day because his and my schedules conflict.  He increased my dose of Welbutrin from 150 mg (suffer from mild depression) to 300 mg.  Said to come back in 30 days, but he didn't seem to think I had much of a problem because to look at me he still sees a thin person.  But what makes me panic is that in the past year, I have regained 30 pounds of the 150 pounds that I had lost.  When it came time to go back to him in 30 days to tell him that the Welbutrin didn't work, my overeating was still out of control, I found that I still could not get in to see him without missing work, it became obvious I needed to change psychatrists because I am out time to take of of work.  So I went to my physician, who I have been seeing for about 10 years, and has been very supportive.  She agrees with me that we need to stop this drastic weight gain before it gets out of control, and rather than popping pills, we need to try some therapy to see what is causing it.  She even made a phone call and got an appointment set up with a psychatrist that she highly recommends, so I hope he can make some progress.  In the meanwhile, she started me on a drug that is supposed to help with OCD symptoms. 

So here is my glimmer of hope!:  Topamax!  the generic name is topiramate.  It is used to treat epilepsy, and many other conditions such as migrains, ptsd, meth addiction, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, binge eating, and obesity.   I seem to have some issues with impulse control and obsessive-compulsive disorders, binge eating, and obviously obesity or I wouldn't have needed the gastric bypass surgery.  My family physician has started me on the low dose of Topamax (50 mg twice per day) and I have already stopped the binge eating, constant stuffing my face, eating foods that I don't even like just to be eating.  I feel like there is finally a glimmer of hope for me and that is such a relief!  I really do not want to be on medication forever, but a low dose would be alright with me if necessary.  Tomorrow I have the appointment with the new psychatrist and I'll see what he thinks.  I had never heard of Topamax before, but it really is acting like a miracle drug in my case.  I'm even excited to begin therapy because I want to do away with the stress of worrying if I will regain the weight.

Robin  

Missy A.
on 10/3/12 7:21 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12
I used to take tompamax for migraines and seizures. It really is an awesome drug to help with your appetite. I hope it works out well for you!

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

cowgirl64505
on 10/3/12 7:34 am - Saint Joseph, MO

Thanks Missy! 

Bellaluna468
on 10/3/12 7:24 am
RNY on 10/26/12
 Topamax is a component that makes up part of the new diet pill Qnexa.  So hopefully it will help.
You can get this under control and recover from what has been happening.  Reconnect with the basics; protein, water, very low carbs, cut out the sugar.   Look a your old pictures and remember your struggles to get where you were...   Most importantly, don't beat yourself up.  It's a new day!

cowgirl64505
on 10/3/12 7:34 am - Saint Joseph, MO
Until this, I hadn't heard of the new diet pill Qnexa.  Yes, back to basics.  I'm doing that:  proteins, lots of water, no sugar, low carbs and exersize.  Thanks! 

Robin

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 10/3/12 7:25 am
RNY on 01/10/12
 I tried Topamax for migraines, and it didn't work for me.  Hopefully it will do what you need it to do.

Did your doctor mention that one side effect is memory issues?  In fact, its nickname is "Dopamax."  If it works for you the side effect may be worth living with.  I just wanted you to be aware that this could happen, so if you have trouble remembering names or you can't think of the word you're looking for or whatever you know why.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

cowgirl64505
on 10/3/12 7:32 am - Saint Joseph, MO
Heck, I already have that problem.  I might go from not remembering other peoples names to not remembering my own name! 

Haven't seen that so far, but I'll be aware of that issue.  Thank you for the heads up.

Robin

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/3/12 7:32 am
When I eat carbs - I feel like I want to eat every hour or so. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kelly L.
on 10/3/12 8:03 am - San Jacinto, CA
 I'm happy for your glimmer :) keep up the good work!

HW 274. CW 129

cowgirl64505
on 10/3/12 1:36 pm - Saint Joseph, MO
Thanks Kelly, it is just a little glimmer but I'll take all I can get right now! 

Robin