teeth

pugsley101
on 10/9/12 2:12 am - KY
I am four years out from Gastric surgery and am beginning to have lots of trouble with my teeth. Has anyone else experienced this?
(deactivated member)
on 10/9/12 3:44 am
It could be a coincidence or it could be that you haven't gotten enough calcium and vitamin D all these years. It's recommended we take 1500-2000mg a day of calcium and keep vitamin D levels at or over 80 (daily intake varies from person to person to achieve that, but a number of us need 100,000 to 150,000IU a week of dry D) to keep things optimal. Low vitamin D means low calcium absorption, regardless of how much you take.

I've always had bad teeth thanks to genetics and I haven't noticed them be better or worse after surgery. I took care of problems as they arose and none were really unexpected. I needed a crown (2007), a wisdom tooth removed (2008) and a filling (2009) since surgery in 2007. In 2006, before surgery, I had to get 4 upper molars extracted. They broke off at the gumline when I was a teenager and ended up very infected, finally. Obviously surgery had nothing to do with that mess.
BWB
on 10/9/12 3:55 am
 I don't know y our age but my teeth started to deteriorate at 50 yrs.  I had orthodonics when I was little and that seemed to cause lot of problems later.  Newer techniques have improved the results.

Kat Kat
on 10/9/12 4:31 pm, edited 10/9/12 4:31 pm - AZ

Are you making sure to take at least 1500 mg of Calcium Citrate (not Carbonate) a day in 3 doses of 500 mg each? Are your Vitamin D levels between 80 - 100? Both will insure strong bones and teeth, otherwise the body will leach calcium out of  them. If you have not been keeping up with these things, it wold be a good idea to get a dexa scan to check your bone density as soon as possible.

Kat

sue H.
on 1/15/13 10:45 pm - stafford, VA

I had mine in 2005, started having issues with my teeth about 2 years ago. I do believe its from lack of vitamins. They got soft and started breaking.  I am at the point to were I need to decide if I am going to invest 10,000 in my own teeth or just have them pulled and get dentures for $3000. My biggest fear is if I try and save my own teeth, they will just continue to fall apart. I was told that crowns/caps life span are about 5 years. With my insurance maxing out at  $1500 a year, that will only get one tooth fixed. I also have issues with drinking water. I have to drink it slow and room temp in order for it not to make me sick. I know if you are dehydrated this makes the bacteria in your mouth grow faster.

BWB
on 1/15/13 11:27 pm

Crowns should last longer then that.  I've had one for at least 15 to 20 years.  

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 434 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 163 views
Recent Topics