Spouses having surgery together

Heidi T.
on 10/17/12 10:20 am
RNY on 01/31/12
So I have a bit of a delema. My husband and I both had a Lap RNY ten days apart. Mine was 1/31 and his was 2/9. I have lost 145lbs he has only lost 90lbs. He is attempting to change certain things and eats small portions but eats them multipul times. An example of this is tonight we went to mexican. I got a taco salad no shells, he got a burrito with rice. We both only ate 1/4 of our meals and took the rest home. He has eaten the rest of his already only 3 hrs later, while I am now just starting to drink again. He is not getting in his fluids, or putting his protein first. I am afraid that he has given up, he is still over 300lbs and no were close to goal. I am about 40 lbs from goal and trying har to get were I need to be. I put protein first, and get my fluids in, I make mistakes yet keep trying.
We went out with the kiddo and got some family pics taken, after looking at the photos I mentioned that I was a little taken back because I thought that I looked larger than I felt when looking at the pics and was a bit sad that I still have so far to go. He got totaly upset with me and yelled at me telling me to give him a break that I have lost 145lbs and I need to stop. I am not sure if he was being supportive or was really upset, he would not even talk to me for over an hour after. I really think that it was a mistake to do this together. I never thought of what would happen if one of us had secuss and one of us did not. Please note that I say nothing to him about his eating, because in the past I have and he got really angry and refused to eat or drink for a day.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do? 

rny 1/30/12              
On 1/30/12 I begain my new healthier life, it is not easy, but day by day I will reach my goals.                
qnmimi
on 10/17/12 11:08 am - Cottage Grove, MN

We have all been told that WLS is a tool, and you have to learn to use it wisely to get the desired results.  That said, he most likely knows what he needs to do, and is simply ignoring the fact you need to limit calories as well.  Nagging most likely won't (& hasn't) helped so far, but keep trying to keep the meals healthy, keep the support going, but he really has to do this for himself!  Sorry, but other than support for you, there's not much you can do to force him to change.  Do you both attend support groups?  Perhaps some friendly chiding from other post-ops may help. 

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 10/17/12 11:13 am
You can support him,  you can be a good example for him but you can't do it for him.
Maybe go out to eat at places where he can make better choices.  I still don't like to go out to Mexican because of the chips and rice.  I eat too many carbs there.

Winnie

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 437 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 362 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 312 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 165 views