Pre-Op Diet???

Jodi234
on 10/22/12 1:04 am
RNY on 03/20/13 with
I am scheduled for surgery on November 7th.  So far I have not received any instructions on what I can have to eat pre surgery.  Since it's only a little over 2 weeks away I'm getting nervous.  Can anyone tell me what their experience was?  Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 10/22/12 1:10 am
You really have to follow your surgeon's advice. I would give them a call and see what's up. I was on clear liquids 2 weeks preop. The liquid diet was the hardest part of having the surgery. During the first 3 days. I felt like I was starving but it did get easier after the 4th day. It is very hard but was worth it to have the surgery.  I basically could only eat jello, chicken broth, a little Greek yogurt, and lots of water. Each surgeon is different so check with yours to see what is required. Best of luck to you and hang in there!
Jodi234
on 10/22/12 1:15 am
RNY on 03/20/13 with
Laura,
Thanks so much for the info!  I will call the surgeon's office today. 
Robin R.
on 10/22/12 1:15 am - PA
RNY on 10/12/12
i just had to take a multivitamin before surgery. i had to lose some weight for my insurance but stupid me ended up gaining it back between the time i was approved and the surgery. but anyways, i ate pretty normally and i only had a liquid diet the day before surgery. i would suggest just trying to eat lean meats and fruits and vegetables. try to be as healthy as you can. however, i'm the biggest hypocrite when it comes to pre op diet.  so... do as i say not as i do lol I'd be another 10 lbs down if i hadn't screwed up.

Jodi234
on 10/22/12 1:19 am
RNY on 03/20/13 with
Robin,
Thanks for the info.  It's all so confusing because my handout doesn't say anything about a liquid diet, only that I have to stop taking all aspirin products 2 weeks prior.  But many people talk about a 2 week liquid diet.  I was so calm about a week ago, now I'm starting to freak out. 
Steve D.
on 10/22/12 1:21 am - MI
RNY on 11/05/12
 I just started mine one week early, I have a meal replacement shake for breakfast, a yogurt for mid morning snack, another meal replacement shake for lunch, a 1/2 cup of fruit for mid afternoon snack, yet another shake at 4:00 PM and then for dinner I get a cup of salad and a frozen entree.
Two days before surgery I have to do the clear liquid diet.
As stated above, the pre-op diet is very much surgeon dependant, so consult your surgeons office asap!
BWB
on 10/22/12 1:38 am
 You don't give us any information about yourself as far as weight and present health.  Since you are approved for surgery I would assume that you are able to function well on your own.  I would suggest that you start exercising as much as you can.  It will help you after surgery. Also put yourself on a low, low carb diet.  Basically no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sugar loaded juice or carbonated beverages.  Reduce the portion size to get used to judging quantity on your plate.  It is too bad that your nutritionist hasn't been preparing you for the big event.  Good luck.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 292 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 218 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 285 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 146 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 218 views