Hair is still falling out????

gwheezy41
on 10/23/12 2:44 am - Fullerton, CA
Hi I will be 2 years out on 10/27 and my hair is still falling out, I mean I see some hair growth but suddenly there seems to be alot falling again....When I had my revision they had to ru**** because of complications...come to find out I was severely protein deficient...heart rate went real low, They gave me alot of protein in hospital and sent me on my way, my doctor moved and was left to see his associate...he has never done blood work on me. I told my PCP and she did some and found me very low on Vitamin D ..It said I was a 15, she then told me to take 50,000 iu a week, now can the Vit. D low also cause hair loss? Or do you think I'm having protein lows again? I have weighed the same for over a year now 185, and have picked myself up and went back to basics, also started drinking protein shakes and excercise everyday, I was so embarrased to come on here after failing to get to my goal but now that I have seen I'm not alone I feel better and stronger and I know I can do this.

Dee.spunk
on 10/23/12 2:57 am - Sacramento, CA
You should be getting your labs done at least once a year just to make sure your not deficient in something. I've been getting them avery 6 months. This all they check, but I'm sure there are even more that others do...
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE
AST
ALT
Albumin
Prealbumin
WBC COUNT
Red blood cells count
Hgb
Hematocrit
MCV
RDW, RBC
Platelets count
Ferritin
Anticoagulation therapy
PT
PT INR
Vitamin B12
Folate, RBC
Iron
Transferrin
ESTIMATED AVERAGE GLUCOSE
Hgb A1c %
GLUCOSE, RANDOM
Component
Creatinine
Glomerular filtration rate, nonAfrican American
GLOMERULAR FILTRATION RATE - AFRICAN AMERICAN
Comment, glomerular filtration rate
Potassium
Sodium
BUN
CO2
Phosphorus
Calcium
MAGNESIUM
VITAMIN D, 25-HYDROXY
Parathyroid hormone intact
VITAMIN A

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

poet_kelly
on 10/23/12 3:07 am - OH
Yeah, I also get thiamin, folate, B6, vitamin E, vitamin K, zinc, copper, and selenium.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 10/23/12 3:05 am - OH
Low D is not likely to cause hair loss, no.  But if your D is only 15, you'll need more than 50,000 IU once a week to get it up.  Are you taking D3 or the prescription D2?  We need D3.  I take 50,000 IU D3 three times a week just to maintain a D level of around 100; when my level was 25, I had to take 50,000 IU D3 every day for a few months to get my level up.

How's your zinc and iron?  Those are more likely to cause hair loss.  But so is low protein.  What's your total protein level?  Albumin?

Does your PCP know what labs do draw for you?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

gwheezy41
on 10/23/12 3:33 am - Fullerton, CA
Iron- 93mcg   Protein- 6.6   Albumin 4.1    B-12 450 pg/ml   Did not show zinc....Where can I get the 50,000 iu tablets?   I'm going to start looking for another Gastro Doctor...I don't feel comfortable with this doctor  and took me almost ayear to get them to find out why I was having so much pain in my stomach, finally did a endoscope and found I had a marginal ulcer...go figuer!

poet_kelly
on 10/23/12 6:07 am - OH
OK, iron is fine, albumin is good (that has to do with protein), protein is a bit low - we like that to be at least 7.0 but it's not so low I would expect you to lose hair over it, B12 is really low - that needs to be over 550, ideally around 1000, if it gets below 400 you can get permanent nerve damage but I bet your tired from it being this low.

They may not have done zinc, sometimes they don't do all the tests we should probably have unless you specifically ask for them.  I take a list to my PCP when I want her to order them.  You can ask them to order zinc for you.

You can get the 50,000 IU D3 from vitalady.com.  They are small capsules, easy to swallow, and I think it costs something like $20 for 100 of them so the last a long time.

Dave Chambers
on 10/23/12 5:36 am - Mira Loma, CA

50K IU D once a week is the usualy dosage of those green softgels that are called script D. These WILL NOT work post op.  I had an 8 for D after my RNY. Taking a script D of 50K once a week, 3 sets of labs, and the highest level I got was a 14.  Get the 50K IU dry D3 and begin by taking 3 per week and retest in 2-3 months.  Your D will be higher, but how much cannot be predicted. Levels to "shoot for" are 80-90 for maximum calcium absorption as well as a host of other benefits.  Talk to your PCP or surgeon and tell them about your hair loss and your concern over whether protein levels are deficient.  Have your protein levels checked.  You don't really say whether you've had a diet high in protein or not.  You only note you're drinking protein drinks now. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

gwheezy41
on 10/23/12 12:05 pm - Fullerton, CA
Thank you Kelly and Dave...I am going to order the Vitamin D from Vitalady right now and I started to take B-12 1000 sublingual, I also take a multi-vit with 1000 mg of B-12.  Yes Dave I eat a high protein diet, but since the last surgery when they said I was protein deficient I really upped my intake of protein...and yet Im barely normal so I figuered I should start drinking protein shakes again, Is it possible to have a malobsorbtion issue with protein?  I'm looking for another doctor, my original doctor moved away and I was left in the hand of an associate of his...he obviously does not think labs are that important.  Thank you again I'm very grateful for all the information you both have given me.