Kinda bummed

Poppygail
on 10/29/12 9:57 am - Florence, KY
RNY on 03/06/13

I had my BH Clearance meeting with the SW today and I thought it went well. However, she felt I needed to see the psychologist up to 4 times to obtain clearance. She had problems with the fact I had severe clinical depression several years ago, am dealing with insomnia now, and my family has several serious health issues. Oh, and I tend to internalize things. I feel that I'm in the best place in my life, I have problems but I think I understand them. I don't mind seeing the psychologist, even kind of look forward to it, but I'm afraid it's going to put my surgery off a month or more. I can continue my diet trial but I can't make any other appointments until I'm cleared. This really upsets me. I'm sure others have had this problem, if you did please tell me how you dealt with it and how the process went. Thanks

Poppygail   

Amelia L.
on 10/29/12 10:13 am
RNY on 08/20/12

Try not to let it get you down.  It's just another part of the process to an amazing new healthy life.

Blessings to you!

MrsLitch
on 10/29/12 10:37 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

Even if it puts you off a month it will still be that much better for you in the long run. I got my psych clearance on my first visit and then went to see my therapist again several times since then. Best decision for me ever! I was not prepared for the roller coaster of emotions from the hormone release and was not prepared for the bouts of depression that I've had since surgery. All very def. not situational as I've not really had any issues post op. Those continued visits pre and post op have been a God send. Take it as one more step to a successful journey which is far different than just a journey. :D good luck

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Sherrie P.
on 10/29/12 12:01 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

Therapy is a wonderful thing. Embrace it and let it make you better. If you feel like you are in the best place of your life - you can probably make it even better.  Being fully prepared will make your journey all the better. It is a process not an isolated event.  Hang in there, trust the professionals and go at with an open mind.

Best of luck.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Poppygail
on 10/29/12 12:20 pm - Florence, KY
RNY on 03/06/13
Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement. I really don't mind the therapy sessions, I was in therapy for several years and it brought me back from a truly dark place. I don't want to sound as if I don't appreciate the value if therapy because I do. I just really need to get to a healthier point in my life, the sooner the better. I think this is the tool, with hard work to finally get there. I do want it to be in the correct order to make it a success. Still, it isn't easy to hit a roadblock this early. Sorry for the length, thanks for listening.
rutabaga
on 10/29/12 12:32 pm - St Clair Shores, MI

Everyone preparing for this surgery have different "hoops" they have to jump through to get to the goal. 
Whether it's paperwork, appointments, clearances or something else. Each Insurance company has their own protocols for approval and each Weight Loss Clinic, Center or whatever has their protocols as to how they do things. Each surgeon has their way of doing things. I know you are anxious and just want to get it done, but be patient. 
It took me 5 years to get all my ducks in a row, fighting with the insurance company and filing appeal after appeal to finally get approved. I had to get clearances from a 5 different doctors, no, it was 6  including the 2 appointments with Psych. 
I had to attend a seminar, nutritional meeting, meet with the surgeon, nurse, dietician and even after all that, I still had to wait another 6 weeks to get scheduled for surgery. I am 5 weeks post-op after waiting 5 years. Keep your chin up. 
The process is easier for some than others. Your time will come. Good Luck!

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 10/29/12 12:37 pm
RNY on 01/10/12

When I went for my cardiac clearance I found out I could have a heart surgery I'd been turned down for before.  And the cardiologist wanted to go first, which meant I'd have to wait an extra 6 months for the gastric bypass.  It turned into 10 months because of some paperwork snafus.  But the bottom line is I did eventually get the surgery and the weight has come off, and now I'm five pounds from goal!

So if you have to delay your surgery for a month or more, seriously, in the long run it's not that big of a deal.  And you'll be in a better mental place to deal with it.

BTW, I adore my therapist; I see her every two weeks.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

Poppygail
on 10/29/12 12:51 pm - Florence, KY
RNY on 03/06/13
All you guys make a good point. I do want to make this the most positive & successful journey I have ever taken & you're right, every I needs to be dotted. You've helped my outlook considerably. Thank you