got a question for the long time vets.....

emt_amy
on 11/24/12 1:58 am - MN
so i am over a year out and have had non stop issues. ive noticed lately that im eating even less than when i started..... i have like one or two bites and i cant eat anymore. my issues have consisted of 4 strictures, gallbladder, upper right quad pain with no known cause, ibs, hypoglycemia, a very rare bacteria in my colon, and now i found out my spine curves to the left. ive been going to a gastroenterologist since march and been on various meds to stop the pain. thank god i have a pcp who believes im not faking it.

anyway, my question is: has anyone had this many issues before? or am i just a conundrum?

ChristineB
on 11/24/12 2:20 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

Everybody brings a different equation to the table with their health. I would touch base with the doc about the eating issue as you might be experiencing another stricture. Gall bladder issues are common PO.

IBS can happen at anytime to anyone even if they are not a WLS patient. Many WLS patients experience hypoglycemia. I am not familiar with the bacteria issue. The quad pain - have you been screened for fibromyelgia (SP?) or is the pain possibly related to the spine curving?

Sounds like you are keeping on top of your health. I know it can be frustrating - come back for support when you need it.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

emt_amy
on 11/24/12 2:30 am - MN
thanks christine, my gallbladder was removed last dec. is it even possible to have another stricture so long out? thought it was just early out. i never had any issues with my bowels prior to surgery. drs wont diagnose fibro because they think if i go to other drs they will use it as a cop out. im in some form of pain at all times.
the bacteria was a very rare one that you can only get from contaminated water.... like river or lake water but i hadn't been near any in a long time before my surgery. they gave me cipro to clear it up and it helped but i wasnt tested after to see if it had cleared up.
i have a chiropractor looking at my xrays but havent gotten a call yet from him. the quad pain is near the gallbladder area, im thinking its adhesions myself.

ChristineB
on 11/24/12 4:12 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

Adhesions usually do not cause any pain. Been there done that recently. I have had issues with partial bowel obstructions caused by the adhesions. The bowel obstructions were horrible painful but not the adhesions on a daily basis.

In regards to the stricture issue only your doc can guide you on that seeing that you have been to him for this issue prior to this and yes they are usually an early out issue.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

emt_amy
on 11/24/12 4:30 am - MN
i actually refuse to go back to my surgeon, the hospital aftercare was not great, i owuld ask them questions and they would keep telling me im eating too big of bites. wouldnt do labs when they were supposed to. i just wish this pain would stop.... its so sharp at times.

ChristineB
on 11/24/12 4:36 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

Is there any other WLS doc in your area or one that you can travel a ways to?

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

emt_amy
on 11/24/12 7:32 am - MN
Next closest one is 2 hrs away.

Carol S.
on 11/24/12 6:45 am - Milwaukee, WI

Adhesions most certainly cause pain.  I don't know who is telling you they don't.  

I hope your gastro doc can figure all this out.

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Friendlybyte
on 11/24/12 7:18 am - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12

I agree with Carol!  Adhesions can cause major pain!!  I know first hand...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/24/12 7:32 am - OH
It isn't the scar tissue itself that causes pain, though... It is when in interferes with organs and other internal structures that can cause the pain. Many surgeons will state the former and then fail to mention the latter, especially since the vast majority of the time, the adhesions are harmless.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics