not loosing enough weight / epic failure

Amber Isbell
on 11/24/12 11:17 am - Devine, TX

I had rny on June 5th, 2012.  I have lost a whopping 49.6lbs.  I was able to exercise until two weeks ago.  I was doing the C25****il that point.  I was on week 5. I have not exercised since October 31st due to a fall and an injured meniscus. Hopefully I will be able resume to C25K workouts next week after a dr. appointment.

My concern is that my dr. said if I don't lose most of the weight in the first 6 months, I won't loose it all.  I have 50.4 more lbs to go.  I track my food and exercise on myfitness pal and most days I am eating less than 1200 calories.

I have thrown up about 6 times since Thursday.  Just eating too much because I don't seem to have self control--still:)  Prior to this I have not thrown up and the only problem I was/am having hair loss.  Most days I feel great and have tons more energy.  I am down to a size 16/Large from a 2X/3X.  I like so many other posters am so worried about failing. My six month date is Dec. 5th. I am no where close to being at goal.

So many factors play in to this journey.  I am so worried am going to become the poster child of failure! My oldest daughter has been blessed with my genes and a tendency to be overweight.  I so want to succeed for myself and her.  I want her to see weight loss can be done.

HW:280, Lap Band 2005-225lbs-LW, Revision to RNY 06/05/12 -245lbs

65rosesmom
on 11/24/12 11:23 am

You have lost 50% of your weight.  That's great.  You will have another year window, just keep on track and keep up with the basics.   If the fear of failure is overpowering your success, you might consider seeing a therapist to help you get your brain aligned with the rest.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Amber Isbell
on 11/24/12 11:28 am - Devine, TX

Thank you! I had thought of seeing a therapist.  Just need to follow through.

HW:280, Lap Band 2005-225lbs-LW, Revision to RNY 06/05/12 -245lbs

SweetLilyAnn
on 11/24/12 11:51 am - TX
PLEASE know that you have another year to lose ur weight. It's not over do please don't let ur fears and misinformation keep u from achieving ur dreams. Stay focused

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

emt_amy
on 11/24/12 12:14 pm - MN
i lost about 70 lbs the first 2-3 mo then i havent lost a single pound since JAN!!!! i lose a lil then gain a lil. relax, take it a day at a time and dont sweat the small stuff.

i use the loseit app on my phone. i like it alot.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/24/12 1:01 pm - OH
Your doctor should know better than to make that comment about your rate of weight loss! It is VERY typical to lose 50% of the excess weight in about 6 months and then to lose the remaining weight over the next 9-12 months. So relax... Many, many people lose weight until 18 months out or even longer.

I, for example, had lost 100 pounds exactly at the six month mark. That was right about half of what i wanted to lose. My weight loss slowed down a lot at 6 months out (as it does for everyone, due to your caloric deficit being smaller because our body is smaller AND because you start to lose the Alaric malabsorption), slowed down even more at 9 months out (when I had a 9 week stall), and then slowed to a crawl after 12 months... yet I lost an additional 89 pounds between months 6 and 20. I am now over 5 years out, have 25% body fat (considered "optimal" for a 50 year old woman"), went from a size 28 to a size 10/12, and went from a BMI of 57 to a BMI of 25 (the line between a "normal" BMI and "overweight"... but the BMI chart is complete BS because it doesn't take muscle or bone mass into account, and I have very muscular highs and large bones in my legs).

What is FAR more important than what the scale says is how you are doing with learning new, healthy eating habits and making that your new lifestyle. Those habits will be the BIGGEST determinant of how successful you will be not only in terms of weight loss, but -- more importantly -- how well you do with MAINTAINING your weight loss. So focus on really EMBRACING a healthy food lifestyle (which does not have to be completely devoid of treats) and don't worry so much about the scale or about your doctor's untrue comment.

Many, many of us had self-control issues that contributed to our obesity, but it is important to address that to be successful. It sounds to me like you would benefit from some counseling to look into the emotional/psychological issues behind the overeating. Addressing these is the SECOND biggest factor in long-term success.

You CAN be a success!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Friendlybyte
on 11/24/12 10:34 pm - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12

Well said Lora!!angry

Cindy~*frown

dfarmer1196
on 11/25/12 6:13 am
RNY on 10/16/12

Hang in there.  I had surgery on Oct 16th and I have only lost 18lbs.  You seem to be doing good.  Just keep up the good work and know that you have friends and support from all of us here.

mzzz86
on 11/25/12 8:31 pm - Canada

I am at 7 weeks Post OP and I have lost 30 lbs and  I am happy with where i am at I have not thrown up once and seems I can eat anything, I do not want my weight to come off too fast as I do not want the access skin and so far I seem to be toning quiet nicely!!! its amazing how your body takes control.

Most Active
Recent Topics