im scared

sheshemaclin
on 12/2/12 4:18 am - IN

hello all. im new here and just looking for some reassurance. im starting the process of having wls. i went in on the 21 of nov and met with the surgeon. i was really hoping to have the sleeve done but he said with my weight (305) and my diabetes, that the rny is my best option. im really afraid of bypass. ive heard so many ppl having complications like hernias, stoma problems, gallbladder problems and a few more. i want and need to lose the weight for my childrens sake (11 y.o and 3 m.o twins). im just afraid ill be even sicker after the surgery. can anyone tell me their journey thru this wls and the complications along the way. i just want to make sure im making the right decision for me and my fam. thank you so much in advance for your comments.

Im ready to look good and feel great

Jeffboutwell77
on 12/2/12 5:06 am - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

ultimately it is your decision and don't let others scare you. There is a lot to be concerned with but there is a lot of things to be concerned with now with your current health. I have had the RNY and I do not regret it. there are times when I hurt because I ate too much or too fast but there is nothing that would tell me that I regret having it done. As for people who have had hernias if you ask them if they were doing something they weren't suppose to be doing or that they weren't exercising I believe that 9 out of 10 times they were lifting something heavy or not keeping up with their exercise program. I have heard that the hernias usually take place around 1 to 2 years out. What you need to do is to get as much education about this surgery that you can. Find out the risks and ask your surgeon all the questions about complications and  what you can expect after surgery. Your surgeon will also be able to tell you how these hernias are caused and what you can do to lessen your risks of getting them. I am not even 90 days out and have lost 72 pounds and although I did not have diabetes going into this surgery I did have high blood pressure and used a Cpap. I no longer use the Cpap and no longer have to take high blood pressure meds. I feel good and have energy. No pain in my tummy and on top of it all had a 3% chance of not coming out of this surgery alive due to some liver issues. I recommend this surgery to anyone who wants to lose weight fast but this surgery is a tool and a tool only works the way it was designed to work. Get the skinny on everything related to this surgery before you decide to have it.

LIFE IS HARD, BUT GIVING UP HAS NO REWARDS!!!

acochran
on 12/2/12 5:36 am - GA

I had the RNY and have had no problems at all. You will lose more weight with the bypass and there are studies that show the weight will stay off longer. Just remember this surgery is a tool and you need to completely change your ways of eating and follow your Doctors rules! I  Let us know how you do ! Good luck !

acochran
on 12/2/12 5:39 am - GA

I had the RNY six weeks ago and have had no problems ! Just remember this surgery is a tool and you must change your eating habits and follow your surgeons guidelines. Everything will be fine. My daughter and husband are also having the RNY. Good luck !

Paddycke51
on 12/2/12 5:42 am - Mississauga, Canada
Hi there if you on the forom under Ontario forum there are slot of wonderful people that have had the was and they are welling to share. I see the surgeon on Jan 4. Best of luck on your joinery
pattyjonichols
on 12/2/12 5:46 am

In Reply:

I can only tell you my journey...I'm 18 DAYS out of surgery.  I too wanted the sleeve, but after a lot of investigation I found it wouldn't help as much as the POUCH for my High Blood Pressure and Type II Diabetes.  My weight was 292 and the day before surgery I had gotten dow to 280 with the pre-diet liquid program.  I'm knocking on wood right now because I have had no pain and am bouncing back quickly.   I do have 5 small holes in my stomach area...the drain was removed at the hospital.  sore yes, pain no.   For me the miracle is the rapid drop in blood pressure and type II diabetes.   I used 45 Units of Novolog daily and 90 Units of Lantis at night  PLUS 2 Metformin (1000 mg) daily.

As of today December 2, I seldom need Novolog, My Lantus is down to 40 Units and expected to eventually go to ZERO and I no longer take Metformin.  Since surgery I've lost two weeks ago I've lost 6 pounds.    I made sure I had the right foods and drinks in my home to handle about 2 months and I found out my TASTE BUDS changed so I recommend not buying too much of any one item until you see what you like AFTER surgery.   Trust me your pouch tells you when you are full and it is best NOT to go off of the plan.   At stage 3  I though I could eat shrimp.  hahahahahaha I had to crawl out of the restaurant it hurt so bad.  just kidding.   But I was in great pain after 3 bites.   Never again.  Cottege cheese is great.  (SMILE)

If you have a good surgeon who has all the credentials and done LOT'S of these surgeries there should be no problem.

Not to say something wouldn't develop months down the road, but that is the trade off.  at 305 Lot's of things could happen to you down the road also.  I just prayed about my decisiion, turned it all over to God and off I went.   So far....so good.

OH yes I did have one complication after surgery.  Excessive bleeding.  It took about 4 days to get it straighten out and I had such a great surgeon he wouldn't let me go home until it stopped and I was OK.    Actually I had almost forgotten about that, but if that is the worst.....I'd do it all over again.

Good luck with your decision.   Try not to get too caught up in everyone's bad news.  For every crappy story there are dozens of great ones out there.

Patty Jo

Michigan

Patty Jo Nichols

a/k/a  PJ

kcollins7
on 12/2/12 6:19 am - TX
I am 33 years old and I chose the bypass because it has been the most successful of all of the choices. It can be modified if needed. The sleeve cannot. Your stomach is partially removed from your body. I have not heard any horror stories about the bypass. I am 3 weeks post op and doing wonderfully!
SarahLee1969
on 12/2/12 6:21 am - NY
I had RNY early August 2012 and so far, so good. No complications at all. I was out if work 3 weeks, but probably could have gone back to my mostly desk job sooner.
I'm happy with my surgery, and really like my surgeons office.I found OH to be a valuable resource, and I also attend a local support group that has been helpfull as well.
MrsLitch
on 12/2/12 6:24 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

Hi She, I have had no complications per say. I've thrown up a couple times which hurt but it was my own fault for either not chewing enough or eating too fast. I learned quickly not to do that. I do have a hernia but it's an incisional hernia that is no where near my bypass incisions it's actually down by where I've been cut open 3 other times. Did the bypass maybe help it along as he had to loosen the adhesions I don't know but either way not a big deal I go in on the 20th to get it taken care of laproscopically and it's an out patient procedure so I am not too worried about it.

Now what have I gained? self confidence. a sense of pride. I'm able to go out shopping with my kids all day without having to stop to sit or slow down. I can pay normal prices for normal clothes. I haven't needed my inhaler once since surgery. My fasting blood sugar 1 week pre op was 242 at 3 mo post op it was 72. My high blood pressure is gone. My high cholesterol is gone.

Sure I'm only 6 mo out but so far so good and I'd do it again tomorrow and twice on Tuesday

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

hernackner
on 12/2/12 6:58 am - MA

I had a bypass done on Oct 3rd.  went home on the 5th and unfortunately was back to the ER on the 8th.  I did have an emergency hernia and bowel reconstruction surgery on the 8th.  I was in the hospital for an additional week and was much more sore from surgery #2 than the bypass.  I am now 2 months out and am doing great!  I did need extra help with my daughter (age 4) for a week but was fine after.  It is scary but  worth it!  Good luck with your journey!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 344 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 192 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 268 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?