Newbie here...Questions about pre op liquid diet

RainbowRN
on 12/4/12 3:19 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

Hello!!  I am a newbie here!  I am planning on having gastric bypass.  No surgery date set yet.  I am waiting on the Bariatric Clinic at the hospital that I work at to notify me of whether I am a candiate for the RNY.   I am 35 years old. 5'10" and 365lbs.  I already know that I am but I just have to wait for the  official approval letter.  My insurance covers the RNY.  I am just patiently waiting for my MD appt. 

I have been trying to find out as much info as possible about gastric bypass.  I had a question about the preop liquid diet.  How far in advance do you have to start it?  Is it like a couple days or is it like a couple weeks? 

I am so nervous but so excited.  I feel like I am going to have another chance at life.  I have never felt more awful than I feel now.  I have been reading posts from here for the past few days and I am so motivated at everyone's stories.  Hopefully one day I will be able to post a success story on here. 

Thanks for reading.  :)

ToNewBeginnings
on 12/4/12 4:10 am, edited 12/4/12 4:10 am

Welcome!

I think the average is one week for every 100 pounds you are overweight.

amyred27
on 12/4/12 4:14 am

in Manitoba  it is 2 weeks of boost diabetc ( 5 cans a day)

Jules0225
on 12/4/12 4:18 am

It depends on your doctor. My doctor required 8 days, while the other surgeon in the practice only required 3. Some doctors require 2 weeks. It's different for everyone. I will offer you this word of advice though, stick with it. The first 3-4 days are the hardest after that it's not so terrible. Keep in mind the reasoning behind this is to help shrink your liver. Since your liver sits on top of your belly the smaller it is the less risk of any sort of complication. Also, in the end there's this awesome feeling of accomplishment, at least there was for me. :) I'm 15 days post op now. Before you know it you will be too! Oh the other thing I would advise if you haven't already, find yourself a protein shake now instead of waiting until the last minute. My nutritionist recommended one that has about 25-28g of protein and less than 6g of sugar per serving. 

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

MultiMom
on 12/4/12 4:40 am - NH

I had no pre-op liquid diet. My surgeon wanted me to lose 5% of my weight during the pre-op period and being the overachiever that I am I lost 40. I had to do the old colon cleanse the afternoon before and nothing to eat after midnight, but that's it.

Every program does it differently. Good luck!!

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

slashes
on 12/4/12 9:50 am

I only had to do 4 days. Every surgeon has different rules on this - I have seen anything from 6 weeks to none at all.

Follow My Gastric Bypass Story
This is where I share it all - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

RNY: 01-23-2012 Weight day of Surgery - 286lbs ~ Weight as of 09-13-2013 164lbs

Mercyg
on 12/4/12 10:05 am - Hialeah, FL
RNY on 12/10/12

my surgery date is 12/10 and i am on a 2 week liquid diet. 

RainbowRN
on 12/4/12 1:08 pm - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

Thanks for all the replies.  I'm so happy that I found this forum.  You guys are all great!  I cannot wait to actually get started with everything.  I want to be healthy and do everything that I always wanted to but could never do because of my weight.  I am looking forward to reading the post on this forum.   :)

anna9905
on 12/4/12 8:53 pm - GA

My surgery date is 12/28....start my liquid diet on 12/14...Good Luck to you on your journey!

CaitlinTraveler
on 12/4/12 11:27 pm
RNY on 11/19/12

Hi!  I noticed you have Dr. Schauer!  I just had my RNY with him on Nov 19th, so pre-op is still pretty fresh in my mind.  He had me do a two week liquid pre-op diet.  I was allowed protein shakes, SF jello, SF pudding, broth, and SF popsicles.  :)  He is a great surgeon, and (knock on wood) so far I haven't had any issues.  Good luck!  If you have any questions that I can help with, I'm happy to answer. :)

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 271 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 200 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 269 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 139 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 200 views