Think thin bars

apurdie
on 12/7/12 11:05 am - CA

Found an excellent protein bar with 0 sugars and it is making my stomach so upset.  Almost every night I am sick to my stomach. Any suggestion?  Allison

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 12/7/12 12:11 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

Why are you still eating it if it upsets your stomach?

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

apurdie
on 12/7/12 12:18 pm - CA

This recently began. Until now, that have been dense but somewhat easy to digest. They have 20 plus grams of protein which is difficult to get enough of forme, and they are 0 sugars and I can't tolerate sugar 

KimKinVA
on 12/7/12 12:23 pm
RNY on 11/13/12 with
I used to eat those in the past and loved them, especially the chunky peanut butter. I showed one to my nutritionist pre-op and she pointed out that they have a high fat content and may upset my tummy. She also told me that she doesn't recommend protein bars b/c I should be trying to get my protein from food whenever possible. So now my hubby is finishing off my box of Think Thins. you might want to check the label...I think they have a lot of sugar alcohols which might also be upsetting your stomach?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/7/12 1:03 pm - OH
It may be the 7-9g of fat (depending on which flavor). That is a lot of fat post op. also, some of them are pretty high in calories (230 calories for 20g of protein isn't a very good ratio... It ought to be about half of that).

Also, if it has no sugar, it probably has sugar alcohols which cause a lot of people digestive upset. Some people -- like me -- actually react more strongly to sugar alcohols than to sugar post-op! I was not able to find the sugar alcohol content online, but more than 5g seems to be a common point at which people start to have trouble.

I don't know about these protein bars, but many of them have a lot of chemicals in them.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

apurdie
on 12/7/12 2:14 pm - CA

Great advice.  Thank you all!

BugdocMom
on 12/7/12 3:11 pm - CA

Oh yeah! Those things have a ton of sugar alcohols in them. Sugar alcohols are notorious for causing painful and wickedly stinky gas and diarrhea.

apurdie
on 12/8/12 12:33 am - CA

Just checked and sure enough there are 11 grams of sugar alcohols. Thank you.  The sugar alcohols are what is making me sick!

Most Active
Recent Topics