Which supplements? Overwhelmed!

groovykg
on 12/8/12 1:18 am - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

I'm a pre-op, and have just been looking through my sample packs of Bariatric Advantage that I received from Nut.  Looking at their website, and Celebrate Bariatric as well, there seem to be too many options!  It's not just about flavors, but there is chewable, pill or drinkable.  Then there's multi, multi complete, multi ADEK, multi agb... then  there are additional calcium, iron, b and d.  

Do I need the additional ones right away?  Or do I wait for some doctor to tell me I'm low in something.  Which of these multis do I want?  I have always found chewables to be chalking and disgusting, and... oh dear god, this orange multi complete chewable in my mouth right now is making me gag.  If I have a sensitive stomach post-op, yeah. These aren't going to work.

Help? Advice?  What's your repertoire?

ShebasMom
on 12/8/12 1:24 am, edited 12/8/12 1:25 am
Revision on 07/05/16

Everybody's pouch is different. I was taking 2 chewable vitamins after discharge, but my pain med was a huge pill, which I tolerated fine. I was also taking an anti-nausea pill. Looking back, I wished I had gotten vitamins in pill form, since the chewable were nasty. My MD wanted us to wait 3 weeks before starting calcuim citrate in pill form.

You should get a baseline lab on your Vit D, B12 and iron levels before you take extra doses. At 3 months when they check your labs, it will let you know if your'e taking enough or need to increase/decrease your dosages

Now, I use generic Centrium Silver (without iron) and take carbonyl iron (not constipating). I buy my calcium citrate from VitaLady, which are 500 mg capsules. I also get my dry Vit D3 from vitalady, which is 5,000 and 50,000 units. 

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Souperwoman
on 12/8/12 5:25 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 11/20/12

Working on my 3 week post op experience, I can tell you this:

Calcium Citrate:  I've tried all the chewables.  The chewy bites and Celebrate chewies have a gritty/powdery aftertaste (although their chocolate chewy is tolerable) and the Creamy bites: ugh, i can't figure out how people endure the taste.  I switched to pills.  I'd rather swallow a bunch of citracal petites throughout the day than gag through the chewables.

Multivitamin: Started on the chewables. They TASTE LIKE VITAMINS to me. urgh.  Switching to pills there too.  In the meantime, I've developed a technique of chewing it up all in the front of my mouth (trying to keep my tongue from touching it as much as possible) and then, once its chewed, taking a swig of water and getting rid of it all in one swallow.

Iron:  I do take an iron supplement.  I figure better safe than sorry.  I'm already taking all the other stuff anyhow.  The Celebrate Grape chewable isn't as bad as the multi vitamin chewable but if you decide to take it via pill form, the pills aren't too big.

B12-Currently getting the monthly shot from my Dr.  Next followup they'll give me a script so i can give it to myself.  Tiny needle, can't even feel it.  That being said, I did buy some liquid B12 prior to deciding on the shot and its not too bad.

This, along with SO much regarding this surgery, is definitely YMMV.  Some people can't swallow the pills, some people dont mind the chewable taste.  I've just personally made a promise to myself not to ever consume anything I don't enjoy, as I'm trying to teach myself that healthy CAN taste GOOD.  My best advice is to not spend too much on any one thing right away, as you may find yourself with a ton of stuff you realllly don't want to use.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 358 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 335 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 294 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 352 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 294 views