Fistula??

Patti Johnson
on 12/21/12 8:59 am - Mooers, NY

Well I'm home from AMC.... I have an ulcer, hiatial hernia(which I knew, but is bigger)dilated stoma, and a fistula! So much for the Dr. in Saranac Lake saying " I don't know what to tell you!" If he had done any kind of tests like Dr. Singh did, he would have found all of this !!! Now have to wait for scheduling for ANOTHER Upper GI and then Dr. Singh will tell me what he can do! At least I have an answer.

Patti Surgery date June 2,2011
BW -242 SW-219 CW-204 Goal - 120            
Kelly L.
on 12/21/12 10:01 am - San Jacinto, CA
Well! You have your hands full hopefully all of your issues can be fixed quickly. I hope you are feeling better very soon!

HW 274. CW 129

apurdie
on 12/21/12 2:28 pm - CA

When will they take care of that fistula?

Patti Johnson
on 12/22/12 10:32 am - Mooers, NY

I don't know. I am waiting on appointments for another upper GI and a radionuclide(sp) for reflux then who know. Do you know anything about fistulas??

Patti Surgery date June 2,2011
BW -242 SW-219 CW-204 Goal - 120            
rbb825
on 12/22/12 5:23 pm, edited 12/22/12 5:35 pm - Suffern, NY

did they tell you what type of fistula?  A fistula is a abnormal connection usually between 2 organs - most common between the bladder and colon, vagina and colon, vagina and bladder but it can be anywhere.  At one point they thought I had one either between my colon and bladder or intestines and stomach.

A minor one can heal on its own without treatment and usually cause no symptoms but a severe one needs to be repaired in surgery - sometimes - emergency.

I just went back and read your history and you have really been through a lot.  It sounds to me like you have a fistula between your pouch and your remnant.  This will have to be repaired in order to stop your symptoms and problems over the past number of months.  I am suprised they didnt find it during the exploratory of the remnant.

You mentioned a nuclear test for reflux - did anyone do a 24 hour PH Probe?  This is the best test there is to test for reflux - not all Gastro doctors do this but it is like a holter monitor, they put a tube down your nose into your esophagus into your stomach and measure your acid levels to determine if you are having reflux or not.

I wish you the best

apurdie
on 12/27/12 2:29 pm - CA

Wonderful information from last post.  Increased protein intake can help small fistula to heal but it sounds like you may need surgery as soon as possible.  Make sure you are advocating for yourself and staying in touch with us all.  I suffered from reflux severely and found librax and dexilant

apurdie
on 12/27/12 2:31 pm - CA

Dexilant and librax to be helpful, but the most helpful thing was the bypass itself!  Good luck to you and keep us posted. You will get through this.