Change without alteration

Poppygail
on 12/22/12 8:24 pm - Florence, KY
RNY on 03/06/13

OK, so I am still pre-op and have been on the diet trial for just over two months. So far I have lost ~25lbs. Yesterday we traveled to my in-lays to celebrate Christmas and that's when I got the biggest surprise I've had in a long time. I chose my foods well, they were high protein, healthy carbs, and decent (?) on fats but I ate more than I have been in the past few months. OMG, I was so miserable last night I didn't sleep at all! I just paced the hotel room, burped, and kept my wife awake. All this by just eating more than I have been for the past few months but considerably less than I was before the diet trial. What will eating wrong after having my intestines rerouted be like? I've got to believe that it only takes one or two times to learn better. Last night was not fun. Hopefully live and learn fast!

Randy

MultiMom
on 12/22/12 8:40 pm, edited 12/22/12 8:44 pm - NH

After surgery is SO much worse!! The first (and only) time that I did over eat was after I was at goal. I was at Disney World with my 2 daughters, my brother and his 2 children. We all went to an all you can eat character lunch at the Crystal Palace in the Magic Kingdom. It will remain forever burned in my brain! I hurt SO bad . I wanted it to stop....I leaned over the toilet wishing to throw up or maybe even die. My brother still comments on how scared I looked and that he thought I was going to explode. I still probably hadn't eaten anywhere near as much as I previously would have on my first trip to the buffet in my previous (pre surgery) life, but it was WAY to my for me post op.

Congrats on your pre-op weight loss so far!!

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Mary Catherine
on 12/22/12 8:46 pm

Most of the time like a cross between flu and food poisoning.  Pain, vomiting and explosive diarrhea are possible outcomes.  Dumping can also make you light headed and possibly passout.

The good news is that most of us lose our appetite and feelings of hunger and just don't want to eat very much. 

poet_kelly
on 12/22/12 9:18 pm - OH

It varies.  For the first year or so, eating too much usually resulted in vomiting for me.  These days, I rarely vomit but sometimes wish I would.  Eating just a bite or two too much causes pretty significant discomfort, which is why I almost always measure my food and quit when I know I should.  Eating too fast and/or not chewing well enough also causes a lot of discomfort for me.  Feels sort of like a really big lump in my chest.

Eating foods high in sugar or fat initially made me dump.  I felt nauseous, threw up, was dizzy, sweating a lot, rapid heart beat, stomach pain, all that stuff.  These days I can tolerate more sugar and fat but too much still makes me feel icky.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Poppygail
on 12/22/12 9:56 pm - Florence, KY
RNY on 03/06/13

Thanks for the info guys. I have read about dumping and realize last night was no where near as bad as it could have been but it did make me realize I do not want it to happen again. I'm sure I will make more mistakes as my journey continues but this will make me much more vigilant to try and not let this happen again. You guys are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing your experiences. 

Randy