3 weeks post op-everything makes me nauseous

Tammy S.
on 12/25/12 5:20 am - DE
Had surgery 12/4. Was feeling good. Went back to work after two weeks. My problem is I am nauseous all the time. Everything I eat or drink seems to make me nauseous. I drink Powerade zero, propel, crystal light, or protein shake. I know I am not getting nearly enough fluid or protein, which I am sure causes me to feel worse. But I don't know what to try. Am on soft foods but haven't tried much due to the nausea. Refried beans, cream soups, not too bad. Egg was definitely a no no. Ate like a quarter of a meatball which sat pretty good. I am more concerned with becoming dehydrated. I see my surgeon and nut next week. But any suggestions would be appreciated....I tried some v8 splash which made me feel a little better, but am concerned about the sugar. However, I'm thinking maybe my blood sugars are low due to not eating and drinking....just super frustrated....
Jenni_9yrspostop
on 12/25/12 6:45 am

You're probably dehydrated. Try to get in twice as many fluids as recommended and you'll feel better. At this point food isn't as important as liquids. When we get dehydrated nothing tastes good, we don't want to eat or drink and the nausea will be there until you replentish the fluids in your body. I had it at first too. Try to do more than the 64 ounces required for new posties. When you get enough fluid in you'll be suprised at how fast the nausea goes away.

Jen 11 yrs post op RNY

cajungirl
on 12/25/12 6:52 am
Yes you are probably experiencing some dehydration. Have you tried room temperature or hot liquid? Chicken broth or hot peppermint tea were blessings for me early out. If this continues head to the ER for IV fluids.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Tammy S.
on 12/25/12 7:39 am - DE
Thank you both for your replies. I will try to concentrate on the liquids for now. I don't think I am getting half of what I need for the day. I think I will add some broth back in. Warm liquids do seem to agree with me more. I am glad I had the surgery. Its just very discouraging when you feel like nothing is agreeing with you....BTW, merry Christmas. I appreciate you taking time to respond to my post....
sydney1976
on 12/25/12 7:47 am - MD

Gool Luck. :) We had Surgery on the same day. :)

Tammy S.
on 12/25/12 7:56 am - DE
Oh that's awesome! Please keep in touch. Would love to hear your progress. How are you doing with eating and drinking??
MBMom
on 12/25/12 9:02 am
RNY on 09/17/12
I had constant nausea my first 12 weeks. It ended up being my gallbladder. Much better now that it is out!
gbtesq
on 1/2/13 2:33 am
RNY on 12/10/12

I had surgery on 12/10 and I feel the same way.  I am sure that I am not getting enough fluid or protein so I am trying to increase.  I am back at work so it may be more successful.  While home, I rather sleep than sit around feeling nauseous all the time.  So, as I sleep, I am not eating or drinking.  I know, bad.  I can't eat eggs either.  And, I have no energy to fix much or experiment.  So, soups are mostly all I have been eating.  And, trying to take the vitamins is even worse.  I'm sure all those vitamins on an empty stomach isn't good either.  Yesterday I made the mistake of taking an iron pill on an empty stomach.  So, all day New Year's I spent sleeping off the nausea.  I have been drinking crystal light raspberry lemonade because that is the only thing I could stand to drink.  Anything sweet makes me sick!  UGH!  I sure hope this passes soon!!!

Tammy S.
on 1/2/13 2:45 am - DE
Hi....I can tell you 4 weeks out seems to be getting better. I didn't fight with myself trying to eat much. I figured when my body was ready, it would let me know. I bought v8 fusion and splash which has lots of vitamins and pretty much drank that all week. I can eat a little bit now, but yogurts and popsicles seem to be my favorite things. I had my 4 week post op today, down 16lbs. I was a little disappointed but my surgeon was pleased. he stressed the importance of protein. So I got some more protein drinks. I know he wants me to get it more from food, but I am just starting to feel a little better so I don't want to pu****and we joined the YMCA and I am meeting with a trainer Saturday so I am looking forward to shedding some pounds there!! Good luck to you. I definitely noticed a big difference this week in how I feel...hopefully you will too.....
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 370 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 209 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 100 views
Recent Topics