Dizzy, light headed

Pittsteelers
on 12/29/12 3:21 am - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
I have been very dizzy and light headed today. I also had gotten a bloody nose today. I am also cery tired. Could this be because of low blood pressure? Or dehydration? Low blood sugar? Should I call the doctor? I just feel I call the doctor too much over stupid stuff and feel like I am being a bother

Mary Catherine
on 12/29/12 3:25 am

When you are sitting down the blood pools in your legs and when you stand up too quickly you get light headed.  The simple solution is just to pump your legs for a few minutes before standing up.  That will get the blood moving and probably alleviate all of your symptoms.  It happens to most of us after the rapid weight loss and goes away as the body adjusts to the smaller size.

Dee.spunk
on 12/29/12 3:27 am - Sacramento, CA
Have you been getting liquids in? If I don't I get dizzy. I also have low bp, so that might make you dizzy too. My bs gets low at times too, also makes me dizzy. Do you have a tester? I bought a bp machine at Walmart to monitor my bp and my doc gave me the bs tester to keep an eye on my sugar levels. I'd call. Better safe than sorry.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Dave Chambers
on 12/29/12 4:56 am - Mira Loma, CA

Low fluids can lead to these symptoms, but you'll also likely notice you have very dark urine also.  I was good with fluids, but had a bp issue. Low bp issue was irratic and took some time to diagnose.  My dizziness, light headed feeling, and and actually passing out could happen at any time. I could be sitting in a chair, standing in a store, walking on the street, etc. Not upset one bit when it would hit either. I ended up taking my high bp meds again, and had a pacemaker implanted 4 days after my diagnosis.  No more issues since the pacemaker implant.  I did have a couple of scary moments driving though, where I glanced of curbs, didn't remember driving down a street (entered the street, and then only remembered end of street--nothing in the 400 feet in the middle), so this was not an easy thing to deal with. I kept after my PCP, had 3 tests (2 Holter and one Event Monitor test) and a final cariologist referral gave me the diagnosis.  If you urine looks clear and you know you drink enough water, it's likely not dehydration. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

walterswife
on 12/29/12 4:58 am

Any of the things you mentioned could be causing the problem. Are you on meds for hypertension?

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/29/12 5:21 am - OH

Yes, any of the things you mentioned, either alone or in combination, can cause dizziness and lightheadedness.  Also, if you are not getting enough carbs you can have dizziness.  Personally, no, I wouldn't contact the doctor.  I would get more fluids, make sure you eat something every few hours, and get some rest (because all of those things could also be signs that you are getting sick).

if it continues for a couple of days (and you don't come down the a cold/flu), then I would contact the doctor.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 130 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 109 views
Recent Topics