Curious...

SunnydazeRobyn
on 12/29/12 2:18 am

In the past, the hospital stay for WLS could last 5 days or so. I see some are coming home the next day.  It really seems like it's a drive thru these days with hospitals. I had a hysterectomy last Jan, out the next day...I had  an open hernia repair, out the next day...WTH...Other than insurance, why would they want you at home sooner where you're not being monitored by a trained staff. Also, if you have children ( I have 4), wouldn't you get more rest AWAY from home? I think I'm going from the hospital straight to a hotel for recovery,lol...

Robyn

Highest weight 332, Consult weight 325, Surgery weight 316

happygrandma
on 12/29/12 2:31 am - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

I agree, the insurance companies just want us out of there.  I was more than ready to come home, I just was not comfortable at the hospital.  Part of it was the IV in the crook of my elbow that beeped every time I moved.  Luckily no kids at home so it's pretty quiet here.

No grandma or good friend to take them for a couple of days?

As long as you don't have to do a lot for them, you should be fine.

Debbie W.
on 12/29/12 2:34 am
RNY on 12/11/12

I was approved for a five day stay by BCBS but my dr released me after two nights....I was ready to go home, but then my hubby took vacation for two weeks and my kids are all grown and gone.  

thynnlynn
on 12/29/12 3:22 am - MI

For the price of a night in a hospital, you can take a nice relaxing trip to Tahiti!!!

Fortunately, my children are grown and gone, but I have an old, blind, deaf dog that is requiring more help than the children did.  He is not in pain, so it is not yet time but he is starting to have some heart issues, so I do not think he will make it to summertime.  One of those things that those of us with furbabies always have to face, but Choopie will be my last dog, due to my age and the upcoming surgeries on my hip and who knows what else.  We have a cat who is extremely cuddly and loving, so it will help when the time comes.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Dee.spunk
on 12/29/12 3:24 am - Sacramento, CA
They actually wanted to keep am an extra day. I was sooo ready to get outta there. I couldn't wait to just be in my own bed at home.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

MultiMom
on 12/29/12 4:28 am - NH

When I had my wisdom teeth out years ago I had 3 kids under 4 at home. The oral surgeon did the procedure in the hospital and told me that not to be worried after surgery if my blood pressure (I think) caused me to be hospitalized over night. Wink, wink.....

Sure enough, that is what happened!

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

LadyAnastacia
on 12/29/12 4:44 am
RNY on 11/06/12

My doctor offered me an option after 24 hours to go home or stay another day.  I already had all the tubes out(IV, catheter, drain) and I was spending my time walking around the floor and watching TV.  I could do that at home without the $4,000 a night price tag.  It had nothing to do with insurance because I was self-pay.

Frankly, if I am doing well, I'd rather not be in the hospital with crappy lemon jello and loud noise.  I never even slept in the hospital.  I finally got to sleep when I got home and I was surrounded by a fluffy down comforter, my king size pillows, and my mini wiener dogs.

I did see some other patients there who were on their third day in the hospital, even though they had no complications and their doctor had cleared them to leave after 48 hours.  They were using the hospital stay as a rest from the family, even though it's horribly expensive and jacks up the cost of insurance for everyone.  I do try to be more mindful of whether a medical stay is a "need" or just a "want" because insurance costs are so out of line in this country.

poet_kelly
on 12/29/12 4:51 am - OH
On December 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM Pacific Time, SunnydazeRobyn wrote:

In the past, the hospital stay for WLS could last 5 days or so. I see some are coming home the next day.  It really seems like it's a drive thru these days with hospitals. I had a hysterectomy last Jan, out the next day...I had  an open hernia repair, out the next day...WTH...Other than insurance, why would they want you at home sooner where you're not being monitored by a trained staff. Also, if you have children ( I have 4), wouldn't you get more rest AWAY from home? I think I'm going from the hospital straight to a hotel for recovery,lol...

Most people don't rest well in the hospital. The beds aren't very comfortable, the nurses come in all night long to check vital signs and stuff, you may have a roomate that is noisy, etc.

Also, hospitals are full of nasty germs, including many drug resistant germs like MRSA.  The longer you're in the hospital, the more likely you are to develop a nasty infection.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SarahLee1969
on 12/29/12 8:15 am - NY
I agree! I work in a hospital and the germs are everywhere, and resistant to lots of meds.Not something you want to pick up accidentally.
I know I did not sleep well in the hospital and jumped thru hoops to get discharged before my 2nd night. It was wonderfull to sleep in my own bed!
If there was any reason for me to NOT go home, my doc would have kept me.(not tolerating fluids, not peeing, not passing gas, etc)
SunnydazeRobyn
on 12/29/12 4:53 am

All of y'all are making great points! I appreciate all the feed back. If they let me go the next day, I'll embrace it. :D

Thanks again!

Robyn

Highest weight 332, Consult weight 325, Surgery weight 316

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 361 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 269 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 194 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 295 views