Hernia surgery.

buffy415
on 12/30/12 6:23 am - MA

Just wondering if anyone has had to have hernia repair surgery after gastric bypass.  I had my gasrtic baypass on 7/11/11, and have lost about 82lbs.  I have been walking at least 4miles 6 days a week and know that I won't be able to do this for a while.  I am very nervous about gaining weight!!!!!  Anyone with any suggestions I really could use them.  Thank You.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/30/12 6:46 am - OH

I had open RNY and had an incisional hernia from that, so I had to have open surgery to repair the hernia (she used a big mesh square as well in order to keep it from happening again).  I was VERY sore for a couple of months so did not exercise at all, but I was very diligent about what I ate and did not gain any weight at all (and even lost a few pounds) during the few months after the hernia repair (which was about a year out, when weight loss had slowed WAY down).  This will give you some good practice for what you will need to do once you are maintenance to avoid regain (once the caloric malabsorption is pretty much gone).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

buffy415
on 12/30/12 6:54 am - MA

Thank you!  I am not looking forward to this surgery and not being able to walk.  Hopefully I will feel better after a week or so and can start walking again slowly.

Tess145
on 12/30/12 7:23 am - Senatobia, MS

You should be okay with your weight loss.  I have had hernia surgery twice.  Once after gastric bypass at 2 1/2 years and once after 6 years.  The first time, I gain about 10 lbs. but was able to get off in about 4 months after healing from surgery.  Second time I had hernia surgery at the same time as a FDL tummy tuck.  I did not gain any weight from that except for about 4 pounds of fluid swelling that went away after about 8 weeks.  I hope everything goes well for you.

Tess

Starting Wt 306; Losing Wt 155; Goal Wt 145: Regain Wt 225; Current Wt 157
PS:  FDL Tummy Tuck, Hernia Repair 5/17/12, TT Revision, Butt and Thigh Lift 4/18/13

MrsLitch
on 12/30/12 8:11 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I just had hernia surgery on the 20th. My restrictions were nothing over 5 lbs lifted for 3 weeks. Return to work when I was ready between 1-3 weeks. I went back to work on the 26th. I was very sore and came home a few hours early on the 27th. today is the first day I haven't needed pain meds and am feeling pretty good. I didn't feel like eating the first couple of days after surgery but got fluid in. I've lost 4 pounds since the surgery both in 2 pound a night drops on the nights I got the most protein in. You won't be able to do the 4 miles for a bit but I walked around walmart to finish christmas shopping 2 days out. My brother went with and did all the pushing and lifting and I was tender when I got home.  For me the pain was worse then the bypass but I had both done laparoscopic.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Carol S.
on 12/30/12 9:58 am - Milwaukee, WI

I had a simple incisional hernia repaired through out patient surgery.  I took about two weeks off.  I worked out up until the day of surgery, running 18 miles 2 days before.  I gained about 4 or so pounds and got it off quickly.  Maybe about 2 weeks.

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

buffy415
on 12/30/12 7:33 pm - MA

Thank you to everyone who advised me!!!!  Now i know what to expect.  Hopefully it will come off easily and I can start to loose again.  Happy New Year to everyone!!!!

Kate L.
on 2/14/13 6:15 am - Mountlake Terrace, WA

Hi! I know you've had several replies, but here's mine. I had RnY 3/11/08. I'm nearly 5 years out, and down 125 pounds. I've kept most of the weight off through exercise and maintaining a proper post GB diet. I had horrible back pain for several months, with nausea and vomiting. I kept putting off seeing the Dr.  thinking (1) my GB surgery was in Pennsylvania and now I'm in Washington with no GB surgeon, and (2) I must be vomiting due to eating too quickly or not chewing enough. Well, after a work holiday party in December 2012 I ended up in the ER. CT scan showed nothing. I was discharged with a note to see a GB surgeon, Dr. Thien Nguyen. I saw him and he referred me for ultrasound. Still showed nothing definitive. However, with his concerns he suggested hiatal hernia repair and diagnostic laproscopy for possible internal hernia. Had surgery last Monday and sure enough, I had an internal hernia. Both hernias were repaired.

Recovering now from surgery and surprise, surprise, NO back pain!

If you take nothing else from me, don't wait too long. Follow up with your primary doctor and your bariatric surgeon. The best part of all this is I now have a relationship with a fabulous bariatric surgeon. Dr. Nguyen, based out of Overlake Hospital in Bellevue, WA is AWESOME.

Oh, and a painful but terrific way to get my pouch back in line. Better than the 5 day pouch test. Just hurts a bit.

Love and best wises,

Kate

PS Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views