Whatis the best protein to buy post-op?

Kendra C.
on 12/30/12 8:53 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
I would like to get an opinion or two on protein. Are you able to purchase protein with whey for protein shakes?
Jdimsdale
on 12/30/12 10:04 am - N Richland Hills, TX

My surgery is tomorrow and I am curious about this too. I saw a couple of people use walmart or Sams Club brands and I am curious which ones specifically people use. 

Jennifer

Kendra C.
on 12/30/12 10:18 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
I am curious if buying a protein powder from GNC or if it matters if it contains whey.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/30/12 3:19 pm - OH

Most people buy whey protein or egg white protein because they are the most easily absorbed.  Soy protein isn't quite as readily absorbed, but it is ok as well.  Avoid anything with collagen protein because you cannot absorb it at all.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Candy V.
on 12/30/12 10:19 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I use Premier Protein premade shakes from Sam's club, these are quick and easy, 30 grams protein in 11 oz.  They cost less than $19 for 12 shakes.  For powder I have Syntrax cappuccino, lemon tea and mint cookie.

for Syntrax samples see below

Syntrax Nectar - 13 ct sample pack direct from the company is now $14.00 no shipping. Just call them at 866-333-7403. There is an option on the phone for bariatric.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/30/12 10:29 am, edited 12/30/12 10:29 am - OH

The best thing to do is get a bunch of different samples, because "best" is whatever you like and will drink (assuming that you are getting whey, soy, or egg white based protein and NOT buying collagen protein), and even if ten people tell you that they just love a certain type of protein powder you may hate it.  I have a running joke with Poet Kelly because every protein powder or protein water that I like, she doesn't like, and everything she likes, I don't.  The one thing we agree on is the appeal of Cheez Its, LOL!  (Actually, we agree much more on food than protein, but we don't agree on protein at ALL!)

Most of the protein manufacturers have sample packs available (e.g., Unjury, Chike, Syntrax) and there are samples available for a number of different brands at www.vitalady.com.  

Lora

p.s., you should probably get some unflavored protein to add to things like yogurt, SF pudding, soups, etc.  That will help you get in protein.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

dwonogas
on 12/30/12 2:26 pm - IL

I try to eat the protein, chicken, fish. But if I find myself eating a lo of salads, I'll drink Muscle Milk, plus it tastes ok.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 310 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 499 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 567 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 557 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 286 views
Recent Topics