How much is too much?

Chrissynl07
on 1/1/13 11:10 pm - NC

So I will be a month out from my surgery on Friday. Today I got down a whole pack of grits for the first time. It took me about 45 mins to get them down. Is it to early for me to be able to get down that much?

MultiMom
on 1/1/13 11:17 pm - NH

Without knowing how big the pack is I can't say but I doubt that it is too much as grits are a slider food (slides right through the pouch). I would think at a month out that you could probably find a better choice than grits. Grits are high in carbs and very low in protein. Have you tried scrambled eggs?

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Chrissynl07
on 1/1/13 11:20 pm - NC

It was just a individual pack of instant Grits. I did try eggs a few days ago and didnt do so well with them. I am going to try again in the morning to see how it works out for me. It seems like almost everything is getting stuck tho im not sure what i am going wrong.

MultiMom
on 1/1/13 11:33 pm - NH

I don't think you are doing anything 'wrong'. You might want to put in a call to your surgeon or NUT for suggestions on what to do about that stuck feeling.

Years ago I asked my kids pediatrician about my kids not wanting to eat breakfast. He asked me what they liked to eat for lunch, well that was easy and listed off lots of things. He said "Then feed them those things for breakfast"  Why didn't I think of that!! It has stuck with me for the last 30 years. Why do we feel we need to assign certain foods to a time of day?

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

JSporar
on 1/2/13 12:46 am - Canada

If everything is getting stuck then pieces of food are to big going down.  A piece of food that u eat has to be the size of a pea before u put it in your mouth.

65rosesmom
on 1/1/13 11:19 pm

My nutritionist says to stop after 20 minutes, not to continue a meal for that long.  But that said, I doubt it is too much in volume for how early out you are, its probably too big of a serving for a meal at this point though.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

mikerccie
on 1/1/13 11:32 pm
RNY on 02/28/12

On the plan my surgeon uses at one month I was still on full liquids - eating two fluid ounces per meal 3 times per day.

My entire meal plan is around ounces of food (by volume).  At 10 months I'm eating 4 ounces of protein (that's a half cup) and two ounces of either fruit, veggies or good carbs. 

It's never been about how much I "can" eat, it's all about how much I'm "supposed" to eat.

Here's a link to my surgeon's plan:

http://www.mybrandnewlife.org/patient-stories-and-support/ba riatric-dietitians-guide-to-successful-weight-loss/

doloresd
on 1/2/13 12:36 am - FL

well said!

Jewelsstevens
on 1/2/13 12:15 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

I had trouble with scrambled eggs. My doc said that is normal. He suggested a 'fried" egg. No grease, of course (use non stick skillet). I guess the yellow being a bit runny helps it go down easier. It works for me, anyway. I can eat them easily as long as the white isn't cooked to the 'crispy' stage.

Scrambled eggs are still a roll of the dice for me. If they are well done scrambled eggs, the feel like a rock sitting in my chest when I try to eat them. The really soft ones are better (like Grandy's... not sure if that is a national chain or not). Sometimes, adding salsa (non chunky at your stage most likely) to them helps them go down easier. Kind of dipping them in gravy might also (non fat, of course).

When I scramble eggs at home, I take the skillet off of the burner before the eggs are totally done (but close). They will continue to cook due to the heat in the skillet. This helps them stay softer. my granny taught me that. These go down GREAT.

Not sure if I helped you any but GOOD LUCK!

Chrissynl07
on 1/2/13 2:10 am - NC

Hmm sounds like a great idea. Ill try both  ... Thanks

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 439 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 362 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 314 views