Getting Back on Track... 5 Day Pouch Test?

KnittingPoet
on 1/5/13 5:37 am - Raleigh, NC

Now that the holidays are over, it's time for me to get back on track.  I keep coming across this 5 Day Pouch test.  Has anyone ever tried it? Does it work?  Any other tips for jump starting the weight loss again? (I'll be 7 months out next week)

daphneb
on 1/5/13 6:44 am - AK

What is this 5 day pouch test you talk about? I'd be interested in hearing more about it...

poet_kelly
on 1/5/13 7:09 am - OH

I don't know why it's called a pouch test, because it doesn't really test anything.  It's a five day fad diet for RNY folks.  You can look it up at 5daypouchtest.com.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 1/5/13 6:45 am - OH

It usually helps people lose a few pound, just like any other fad diet does.  But I don't see how it would help you get back on track, because it basically involves only liquids for a couple days, then a very limited high protein diet for a few more days.  But that's not the track you want to get back on, right?  You want to get on the track you are supposed to be on long term after WLS.

So I recommend just going back to what you are supposed to be eating at this point in your journey.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/5/13 7:24 am - OH

It will only get you "back on track" if "on track" means liquids only.  What "work" do you want it do do?  

It is just a fad diet for RNYers that does nothing that just going back to eating small portions of good, healthy foods will NOT do.  What it WILL do, however, is reinforce a "diet" mentality... And, often, the same diet-deprivation-regain mentality that kept usually obese for so many years.

The best thing to do, which will reinforce the healthy habits you need to maintain your weight losing term, is to go back to basics, limited portion sizes, high protein, limited carbs, no "white" carbs.

Unless, of course, you LIKE fad diets and having nothing but protein shakes for a couple of days and then a specific, limited menu for a few days after that.  Most people who do the 5DPT end up doing it more than once, though... Which should answer your question about whether it "works".

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active