Shocked

BellaSaid35
on 1/7/13 1:49 am

Okay. I know a lot of us are struggling to still lose weight, or to maintain. But I am having a bit of a problem. I am down to 139 lbs as of this morning. I've gone from 151 to 139 in 3 weeks. (My surgery weight 11 months ago was 230.) I'm starting to look skeletal in my face, and the loose skin is really really bad. I haven't changed anything other than taking a bit of an exercise hiatus over the holidays. But my diet is still normal- 80 gms of protein, veggies, fruits, etc. very little sugar.  Same as everyone else.

I called my surgeon. The pa said that my body will "settle" into a weight when it's ready. That wasn't very comforting. :(

Anyone else experience getting down to a weight you weren't comfortable at? I know I will get used to it, but the rapidity of the loss is a little scary. What if it doesn't slow down? 

And I know some of you are rolling your eyes at me. I totally get it. We are all here because we wanted to lose weight, right? But I'm worried about when it will slow down. :/

Rny 2.14.12

robin1103
on 1/7/13 2:00 am - MD
RNY on 11/13/12

I can see why you would be upset when the PA told you that answer.  Am I reading this right, you just want to maintain at this point and not lose anymore?

As far as your loose skin-- I'm not sure there really is anything that you can do about it other than plastic surgery. 

I still have a long way to go and can't relate in that sense but I can understand why you would be concerned.

I hope someone here can help!

SW 238 CW 189 GW 135

Dee.spunk
on 1/7/13 2:05 am - Sacramento, CA
Can I ask how tall you are? I ask cause my gaol weight is 120 and I was 234 on my surgery date, pretty close to you. I'm 140 now, but feel I still have more to go

I've heard people state on here that your weight will stabilize when your body is done losing. So maybe just let your body decide? There's always a bounce back too right? And once you lose your body will fill out and redistribute itself. At least that how I've understood it.

I could be wrong.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

BellaSaid35
on 1/7/13 2:13 am

I'm 5'4.

Rny 2.14.12

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/7/13 2:12 am

I was losing too much. I also did not like that.  And I was tired and looked older than I was.  But 2 years later - I gained back that weight and then some... now trying to lose 10-15 lbs.  Eventually things will get OK. If you started exercise - I would increase proteins to 100 per day - that way you do not lose too much muscles. or even to 120 gr per day. (that's what I needed to do to keep my Blood level or proteins normal)

You may increase proteins, add some healthy fats, maybe even some fruits... but eventually - your will star gaining. And in 1-2 years yo will get what I call "body fat redistribution" where peopel would notice your start looking like you are gaining weight - in your face- when in fact - you would not.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

BellaSaid35
on 1/7/13 2:14 am

Exactly. You put into words what I could not. I'm looking old and haggard. You know? 

Rny 2.14.12

BellaSaid35
on 1/7/13 2:15 am

Maybe I should increase my proteins. I am going back to working out 2-3 hours 3 days a weeks now. Maybe I will drink an extra shake before bed. 

Rny 2.14.12

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/7/13 2:39 am

That may help.  Add some (little ) fat and some fruits to it.   It may take time, but things will even out. Now, the worse you could do to get low on proteins - specially since you start exercise.   At one point I had to stop exercise. And it was very difficult to start again.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ladytazz
on 1/7/13 2:41 am, edited 1/7/13 2:42 am

This is not that uncommon.  Some people lose more then they planned in the beginning.  It's not a bad idea to go a little lower if you can.  And many of us feel we look bad at the lower weight because of the face looking very drawn.  As it was said, redistribution will happen, as will bounce back, although I am still waiting on that.

I lost way to much and had to work at stopping the weight loss.  I just kept adding about 100 calories, all protein, every wee****il my weight loss stopped and I was in a comfortable place with my eating.  At first the reactions I was getting were alarming.  People thought I was sick and dying.  Even perfect strangers felt they needed to comment on how thin I was.  Running into old friends was awful because they wouldn't recognize me at first and then they would ask what was wrong with me.  We have lost a lot of friends in our group in the last several years, many because of cancer, so they thought that was my problem.

Now, over a year after my lowest weight I have put on about 7 lbs but I no longer get the weird looks and questions.  Everyone I run into that I haven't seen for a while knows who I am and no one has asked if I was sick for a while.  I'm still not happy with my appearance but I am getting older.  I just turned 55 so it is natural that time will take it's toll.  

I am still waiting on that bounce back, too, but I feel it is coming gradually.  As time goes on I am able to eat more and I am feeling something like hunger now, which I hadn't for a long time.  One thing I refuse to do is to eat a lot of crap or junk to gain weight.  I have seen people who have used losing too much weight as an excuse to pretty much pig out and it always comes back to bite them.  I am committed to eating in a healthier way and to gain the weight with healthy protein forward food.  You are right to add more protein to your diet.  I was told to keep adding a protein shake a day until I hit the weight I wanted.  One person told me she had 6 shakes a day.  I haven't gone that far but I keep my protein at at least 100 grams a day or more.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Mary Catherine
on 1/7/13 3:17 am, edited 1/7/13 3:17 am

It does just stop.  There is no record of all of anyone that continued to lose until they went to zero.  Many people look drawn during year two, by the end of year three it is extremely rare to find anyone who still looks too skinny.  It is good to be about twenty pounds under where you want to maintain for life, because there is a bounceback regain when he intestines start absorbing calories again. 

You really do not need to do any adjustments to gain weight back,  That will all happen naturally.  Concentrate on makeup, skin care, hair and clothes to look your best during this time.  Also definitely get a bra fitting,  The right bras will make a great improvement in your appearance.  You are a long way from bounceback.  Mine started at 30 months out.  I thought that it would never happen then I started gaining three pounds a month with no changes to my food and exercise.