Surgery performed standing up?

BellaNY
on 1/11/13 4:28 am

I had my surgery on Monday and was quite surprised that I was strapped to a table and that part of the surgery was done with me standing up. Does anybody know why this is done? I can't find the result anywhere online and am curious.

robin1103
on 1/11/13 4:40 am - MD
RNY on 11/13/12

That's really strange!!  How do you know you were standing up?  I would think you would slip off the table.

SW 238 CW 189 GW 135

BellaNY
on 1/11/13 4:42 am

They told me I would be standing up. They put a shelf-like thing under the table and strapped me in. Afterward, my calves were killing me. I will ask the surgeon the reason for this, but I don't see him until next week.

wendydettmer
on 1/11/13 4:44 am - Rochester, NY

same with me too, you don't slide off because they strap you on very well.  The anesthesiologist explained it to me before time.  I think it has to do with better angles, as all the organs aren't squishing eachother.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

angeleigh
on 1/11/13 4:48 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

From some things i have read, its for the leak test.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

RebeccaElise
on 1/11/13 5:06 am - Quincy, MA

Mine was performed similarly. I don't think I was literally standing up, but the table was angled sharply with my feet toward  the floor. They strapped me onto the table securely and then put a foot board at my feet to keep me from sliding out of the straps. I mean to ask the surgeon for the reason when I see him next.

Come visit me on my blog, Through a Cooking Glass! I talk about my journey through WLS and learning to live, cook, and eat on the other side.  

Alta M.
on 1/11/13 5:46 am - Dover, DE
RNY on 01/14/13
I have never heard of this. I go in for surgery on Monday. My mother and boss both had the surgery and they said they weren't standing or angled for their surgeries.
SarahLee1969
on 1/11/13 9:55 am - NY
I was strapped to the table and the table was angled for part of the surgery.Of course I was out, so I only know because they explained it to me as they strapped me down. I assumed it was to facilitate getting the best angle for the procedure, much like when I had shoulder surgery and I was positioned on my side.
countrygirljess
on 1/12/13 11:23 am
*****ally knows what they do to us in the OR??? Hahahaha!!! They told me to stretch for a week or so before surgery, since it's like a "roller coaster" in there. I was strapped in & my feet were on a board, but, truthfully, I have no clue what they did!!!

Jessica

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/12/13 11:27 am - OH

How odd!  My RNY was open, so I am quite sure that none of it was performed with me in anything other than a horizontal, supine position.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.