Freaked out Newbie

gxnohel
on 1/12/13 4:24 am - WI

Unsure when my surgery will be scheduled.  I will have pre Op tests on Monday and my Psych-eval on the 24th.  Unsure how soon thereafter I can expect a date for surgery.  Starting to freakout though about what to expect, the pain, will I be hungry pre surgery surviving on liquids etc.  Stressing while excited to be getting closer to the start of a new life.  Wondering if I can get some advice and reassurance that all will be well....thanks indecision

poet_kelly
on 1/12/13 5:54 am - OH

Well, you probably will be hungry on the pre op liquid diet.  You can get through it, though.  Many, many of us here did.  You can, too.

You'll have some pain after surgery but it should be managable with medication.  If the pain meds they give you aren't helping enough, ask your doc for something else.

I never promise anyone that everything will be fine because occasionally it isn't.  Complications can happen.  but usually, everything is fine.  Most people do just fine.  The first few weeks after surgery are usually rough, but you just have to remember it's only temporary.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

gxnohel
on 1/12/13 1:19 pm - WI

Thank you Kelly! I surely can see that this wll be a journey to remember and one that will require lots of support! I feel a little silly being scared but then, this will change my life!!!!

apurdie
on 1/12/13 6:25 am - CA

Ditto what Kelly said!

BellaNY
on 1/12/13 9:03 am

I just had my surgery on Monday, so the pre-op diet memories are still close to the surface. I have to say that it was hard. I was allowed 2 to 3 shakes plus a meal with protein and certain veggies, plus 2 fruits. I found that I had to have that 3rd shake as a bedtime snack. The hunger diminished as I got farther on. I was also very tired for the first 10 days or so.

In summary, it is not easy. But it is totally doable and wasn't as bad as I expected.

As for pain ... there is pain the first couple days after surgery. The medications definitely help a lot. By day 3 I was just taking tylenol with prescription painkillers at night.  Like the liquid diet, it is not particularly fun but it is manageable.

gxnohel
on 1/12/13 1:08 pm - WI

thank you so much for your reply BellaNY, all the best to you.  Keep me posted on your progress!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 489 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 378 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 317 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 163 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?