Eating exercise burned calories

Pittsteelers
on 1/16/13 9:37 am - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
Why is it necessary to make up the calories you burn during exercise?? From my understanding it is so your body doesn't take away from muscle??

Mary Catherine
on 1/16/13 3:23 pm

Exercise burns fat and increases muscle.  You do not need to eat your exercise calories unless you are want to gain weight.

wendydettmer
on 1/16/13 9:53 pm - Rochester, NY

so long as you are getting adequate protein it shouldn't be an issue.  Of course, you need to also make sure you are eating enough calories a day.  If you are only doing 800 calories, you need more if you are exercising.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

stanggirl89
on 1/16/13 10:41 pm - DE

you answered my question that I was going to ask. I am 8 months post op and I am barely getting in 750 and after i exercise i feel hungry. Last night I ate some cauliflower. Guess that's ok right? lol

May 16, 2012

HW:345 SW:329 GW:200(Jan 30,2013) 

Paul C.
on 1/16/13 10:54 pm - Cumming, GA

Your average exercise routine does not require a caloric offset (making up calories), but if you are training endurance then it may depending on a number of factors.  Yeah if I burn 3000 calories I am going to eat a bit more than I would other days, but I won't eat 3000 or even 2000 more I may eat 800 more.

Second Exercise DOES NOT always burn fat and depending on the exercise is not the primary goal of an exercise.  Speciic exercises have specific goals and for some weightloss is kinda the bonus or additional effect because of the calories expended.

For example 

Aerobic Endurance is designed to Increase your blood volume and blood flow. Make you heart more efficient at pushing blood and training your body to use fat stores more efficiently. Aerobic Endurance can be sustained for long periods of time and and you get more benefit the longer you go.

Anaerobic Threshold (AT Intervals) force your body to use other energy sources as the Higher intensities don't allow for efficient use of fat stores.  These high intensity periods tap your glycogen stores and result in Acid build up in your muscles that impact on the muscles ability to utilize energy and the time your muscles can perform at this level decreases.

Weight training, actually burns very few calories during your workout and the goal of weight training is not to lose weight as much as it is to build or maintain lean muscle mass.  Remember Muscle DOES NOT weight more than Fat.  Muscle is more dense than fat is.  it is possible for a 230lb man with a low Body Fat % to wear the exact same sizes as a 180lb guy with a high body Fat %.  The reason is; muscle is more dense than fat, meaning that 1lb of muscle occupies a fraction of the space that the comparable 1lb of fat does.  Weight training however has a carry over in caloric burn as your body will require calories to repair the micro tears created while lifting weights.

As I pointed out it is possible to burn other things than fat when exercising.  Until I got my diet more inline with what my body needed fuel wise I would burn protein during long workouts, I know this because of the ammonia smell and that regardless what i did I was unable to gain lean muscle mass.

Remember Weightloss at the base is a game of Calories In versus Calories Out  The larger the gap the greater the loss, to a point.

More people make the mistake of Woo I burned 300 calories running so I can have The Burger and fries and pancakes and bananas.    If you feel fine going into a workout, during a workout and after then you are doing good.  If during your workout you begin to hit the wall and you have no energy after a workout then it is time to examine things and it may not be more calories it could be when you eat those calories and where they come from that is an issue.

Good Luck

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 321 views