On telling people about surgery

VSG on 06/12/13
I was in a career goals session tonight and the coach made an interesting analogy: sometimes it is best to share your goals with others only after they are more developed and solid, like an oak tree, which is stable and resistant to outside forces. Saplings are much more subject to being uprooted or damaged from wind or other stresses.

This really summarizes why I don't tend to share info until it is more solid.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

yippeex8
on 1/16/13 10:38 am - Jenison, MI

I felt the same way! I wasn't sure I could handle the extra scrutiny of my decision, or of my success.

Christine M.
on 1/16/13 11:05 am
VSG on 04/10/13

I just joined  this website today.  I have only just begun my journey.  I have only shared my decision with a handful of people.  I won't make it official until I have my surgery date.

BellaNY
on 1/16/13 11:08 am

I had my surgery on 1/7/13. Did not tell anyone except my husband and 2 kids, and one friend. I wasn't planning on telling people afterwards, but then I realized that (1) I was happy with my decision and didn't really care what they thought and (2) it was a whole lot easier to explain why I'm drinking fluids instead of eatng pizza, if people knew about the surgery. I have now told my parents, siblings and friends. Everyone has been surprisingly supportive.

helenm71
on 1/16/13 11:12 am
That's awesome, thanks for sharing!
Michelle H.
on 1/16/13 6:39 pm
RNY on 01/24/13
I am scheduled for next Thursday... I have been very selective in telling people. Mostly the people closest to me, who have been very supportive. Some are nervous for me, but so am I. I am not telling the masses because frankly my health is not their business and I don't care what their opinion is, who they know that had it and gained the weight back, who got a divorce because they lost weight, blah,blah,blah. Good Luck on your journey!

lizpete
on 1/16/13 7:50 pm - Marlboro, MA

I only told immediate family, Husband, Mother,Brother and Sister. I had to tell my immediate supervisor at work and HR because of the extended time off but I did not tell anyone else.  I felt it was a personal decision.  Althought I have been "outed" by a jealous coworker. I simply tell anyone who comments or asks " I made a major life change and am eating less and better" .  I work with a lot of judgemental people with strong opinions and did not anyone to have to opportunity to give me their's

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 343 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 175 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 268 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?