OT: Teenagers! A vent about my irresponsible boy.

VSG on 06/12/13

My 17 year old son cleaned his room today. He removed a TON of dirty clothes. I didn't think anything of this until a short time ago when I smelled smoke in the basement. Seems my *DARLING* boy completely overloaded the washer and has managed to fry something because now there is a ton of water in it, it's not running, and it still smells funny. He didn't say a word to us when he noticed the washer was full of water and his clothes were drenched. Nor did he say anything about it smelling funny.

The washer is 3 months old. It's a Speed Queen. It's been fantastic so far. And, when we got it, I explained to my son and my daughter how to use it. Fortunately it has a great warranty and I will call service tomorrow. Hopefully they won't determine that it was because he overloaded and void the warranty. 

And of course, I had only gotten part of my laundry done this weekend. I'm running critically low on undies. I swear I'm going to kill him. blush

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/13/13 12:53 pm
Grrr. Hopefully they can fix it soon!

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

apurdie
on 1/13/13 3:12 pm - CA

I did the same thing as he when I was 29 and had my first washer and dryer.  Believe it or not, doing laundry is a skill that one needs to learn.  He was looking for a short cut.  I cleaned my 17 year old son's room until he went a way to college.  This was a big mistake.  Good for you to encourage him to take care of his own room!

DebsGiz
on 1/13/13 7:38 pm - FL

This is a bummer for sure.  However, he is a 17 year old boy.  What else is there to say?

I would do the "fix" this time, but would let him know that if he ever does something like this again, that he pays the next time so he'd better make darn sure that he is checked out on how to appropriately use both the washer and dryer.

Hope the warranty covers it!!!

Jilly Bean
on 1/13/13 10:50 pm - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

Accidents/mistakes happen.  He's only 17.  Wash your undies in the sink for now.

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 345 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 218 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 108 views
Recent Topics