Getting in vitamins and calcium

Kim S.
on 1/14/13 10:28 pm - Helena, AL

You are not getting the required nutrients from Flintstones.  Regardless of what your doctor said, please re-think that decision (I don't usually tell someone to go against their doctor, but on this point I make an exception).

Please see the ASMBS recommendations and compare it to what you are currently taking.

You need to separate calcium from iron....it is fine to take your calcium with a non-iron multi vitamin.

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
Multivitamin-mineral supplement

• Choose a high-potency vitamin that contains 100% of the daily value for at least 2/3rds of nutrients.
  • Begin with a chewable or liquid supplement, then progress to a whole tablet or capsule as tolerated.
  • Choose a complete formula with at least 18 mg iron and 400 µg folic acid in each dose. Each serving should contain selenium and zinc.
  • Avoid children’s formulas that are incomplete.
  • It may improve gastrointestinal tolerance to take close to food.
  • Dosages may be separated.
  • Do not mix a multivitamin containing iron with your calcium supplement. Take at least two hours apart.
  • Brands should be reviewed for absorption and bioavailability.
  • Specialized bariatric formulations are available. These brands should still be reviewed to ensure they comply with the guidelines.
200% of daily value
Additional cobalamin (vitamin B12)

• Vitamin B12 is available in sublingual tablets, liquid drops, mouth spray, or nasal gel/spray.
1000 µg/month as injection OR 350-500 µg/day as oral tablet
Additional elemental calcium

• Choose a brand that contains calcium citrate and vitamin D3.
  • Begin with a chewable or liquid supplement, then progress to a whole tablet or capsule as tolerated.
  • Split into 500-600 mg doses. The body can only absorb 500-600 mg of calcium at a time.
  • Be mindful of the serving size on the supplement label. The serving size for calcium is typically two tablets or capsules.
  • Space doses evenly throughout the day.
  • Do not combine calcium with iron containing supplements. Separating calcium from iron will help to maximize absorption and to minimize gastrointestinal intolerance. Separate calcium and iron-containing supplements by at least two hours.
1500-2000 mg/day
Additional elemental iron (beyond that provided by multivitamin)

• Recommended for menstruating women and those at risk of anemia.
  • Your dosage may need to be adjusted based on your lab results.
  • Do not mix iron and calcium supplements. Take at least two hours apart.
  • Vitamin C increases the absorption of non-heme iron. For every 30 mg of elemental iron, include 200 mg of vitamin C.
  • Ferrous forms of iron are not recommended due to the decreased concentration of stomach acid following RNY surgery. Instead, carbonyl iron is the recommended form of non-heme iron. For severely deficient patients, heme iron may be necessary.
Add a minimum of 18-27 mg/day elemental for a total of 50-100 mg/day of elemental iron.
Optional B Complex

• Look for B-50 dosage. Liquid forms are available.
  • There is no known risk of toxicity.
  • It is important to not that >1000 mg of supplemental folic acid can mask a vitamin B12 deficiency.
1 serving/day

poet_kelly
on 1/14/13 9:54 pm - OH

You might want to try ENS from Celebrate.  It's a drink mix, like those individual servings of crystal light, that is a multi plus 500 mg calcium citrate.  Or you might want to try Upcal D, which is powdered calcium citrate that you can mix in any drink or in foods like yogurt or pudding.

All calcium citrate pills are big.  You can cut them into as many pieces as you like though.

I would go back to your doc about the sores on your tongue.  That's not normal.  Something is wrong that is causing that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

RebeccaElise
on 1/14/13 10:06 pm - Quincy, MA

If you're not getting satisfaction from your doc about the mouth sores, try talking to a dentist. They are sometimes more knowlefeable about mouth issues than docs, IME.

Come visit me on my blog, Through a Cooking Glass! I talk about my journey through WLS and learning to live, cook, and eat on the other side.  

Megan S.
on 1/14/13 10:36 pm - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

Bariatric Advantage has the Multi formula crystals that include Calcuim Vit B12 and Vit D. If you go to My Bariatric Pantry a tub of 45 servings is only $29.49.

Sassyflamingo
on 1/14/13 11:35 pm
RNY on 06/14/12

The chewable vitamins, calcium, and iron REALLY did a number on my teeth.  My dentist was not happy with the staining and it took double the time at my cleaning to get rid of the stains.

Needless to say, I was VERY glad to start swallowing pills. I use a pill box with four boxes per day in it. I can pop each day out of the big holder and take it with me.  It works really well for me.

I take Celebrate calcium citrate.  Granted, I take 9 pills per day to get in 1500, but I take 3 pills, 3x per day and I find the size manageable.

Good luck!

ToNewBeginnings
on 1/15/13 12:46 am

Three months into this you should really have your vitamins sorted out by now...and you don't want to use your pill cutter because you are afraid you might break it? Seriously?

threepugs
on 1/15/13 9:37 am - CA

I take Citracal + D3 Petites. I have to take 4 a day and they are small. They come 200 to the bottle.  :)    I also take Flintsone chewables.

poet_kelly
on 1/15/13 2:26 pm - OH

Four of those a day only gives you 800 mg calcium citrate. We need 1500-2000 mg, according to the ASMBS.  That would be eight to ten a day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 249 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 103 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?