New here and had a Lap Band nightmare and now considering RNY...

aefizzy
on 1/16/13 1:02 am
RNY on 03/19/13

I  had a Lapband done in 2006 that prolapsed and by the time it was removed I hadn't been able to keep down even water for over a week.  My weight dropped dangerously low and it was a horrible experience!  I have since gained back all the weight lost plus some and I am considering RNY.  I am really nervous about a repeat and so is my spouse.  Has anyone else out there had a Lapband and then RNY?  How has your RNY experience been so far? 

MsBatt
on 1/16/13 2:11 am

You should also research the VSG/Sleeve and the DS/duodenal switch. Both preserve the pylorus and all normal stomach function, and the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period.

Jewelsstevens
on 1/16/13 2:19 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

A coworker of mine had a lap band nightmare that was REALLY bad, too. He had a revision in April of last year and has done phenomenally well. He has had no issues and is as happy as can be! He looks fantastic. I think he is down a bit over 100 pounds.

MultiMom
on 1/16/13 3:07 am - NH

There are many, many here who had nightmares with the band and have been very successful with the RNY later. There is a revisions forum here on OH, although I don't know how active it is. I'm sure some of our LB to RNY gals will chime in here soon.

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

thynnlynn
on 1/16/13 3:09 am - MI

I am also a lap-band nightmare and will by having RnY as soon as my thyroid reaches the proper level.  I wish I had never bothered as I have gone through years of hell.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

aefizzy
on 1/16/13 3:46 am
RNY on 03/19/13

Thanks for the info everyone!  Glad to know there are others out there who have been through the same thing and come out on the other side!!

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 1/16/13 8:15 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12

I had the band for 7 years and converted to RNY last April, I LOVE it compared to the band , my life is so much easier now , of course you have to give it a few months t adjust to but I have had no complications , I have lost most of the weight I want to , am staying about the same.

I  would like to loose more and am worried that I will gain it back like I did with my band...but I guess only time will tell that.

If I were you I would do it !!!

Good luck

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

Kidda G.
on 1/21/13 12:09 am
I had lap band 12/08 and never really lost more than 35 pounds & that included with some exercise to get the numbers down. Losing was a struggle but I figured at least I wasn't gaining. The problem was the constant throwing up as most foods got stuck although I chewed & chewed. Later heartburn became a real issue. Prior to the band I never had heartburn & now since its been removed I don't either. This led to laryngitis which meant missing work. The more depressed I got the more weight crept back up. I had the band removed and just over 6 months later had laparoscopic Rny. There was a bit of scar tissue my surgeon had to work through but all in all it was worth it. I am so pleased. 6 months later I am down 60 pounds. I feel happy & healthy!!! Good luck on you journey.
Kidda G.
on 1/21/13 12:11 am
To clarify I had lap band in 2008. The removal in early 2012. The Rny in July of 2012. ; )
Most Active
Recent Topics