What to eat???

dintybinty
on 1/18/13 5:47 am

I am 2 weeks post op, went to the doc yesterday, Lost 11 pounds so far. She gave me the go ahead to start slowly eating, but I want to know can I eat raisin bran cereal? I am NOT  morning breakfast person, I feel nauseated in the mornings even before the surgery...what do you think??

Dee.spunk
on 1/18/13 5:52 am - Sacramento, CA
I wouldn't do raisin bran that early out. Maybe cottage cheese instead?

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/18/13 5:54 am

I'd nix the Raisin Bran. Cereal and milk seems to fly in the face of the 'no eating and drinking at the same time' rule. And it has a lot of sugar in it and will likely sit heavily in your stomach.

Were you given a binder or packet of info on what to eat? When I was allowed soft foods, I ate Greek yogurt, ricotta with spaghetti sauce, and refried beans. There are lots of other soft foods out there if you have to go to soft foods first.

You want to eat protein first, always. Chew well, more than you think you need to, and measure your food instead of eyeballing it.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

dintybinty
on 1/18/13 5:58 am

Yes I got a packet  of what to eat. , Im allowed soft foods...just thought I could have something else..Im not getting alot of my protein.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/18/13 6:15 am

You have to build up to getting your protein. It's hard to get it all at first, but give it a couple of months, and it will be way better. Here's a good rule I learned from Sin Kim about protein: 30 grams at 30 days, 60 grams at 60 days, and 90 grams at 90 days.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Mizzou_Fan
on 1/18/13 5:59 am - MO
RNY on 12/06/12

I was allowed cereal as a soft food",but I never did raisin bran.I would suggest something like corn flakes or chex and let them get soggy.All that said,I haven't had cereal since surgery,I tend to look for protein rich foods.

I just got sick and tired of being sick and tired.

dintybinty
on 1/18/13 5:55 am

Cant do cottage cheese in the mornings....not sure why...thats why I was asking about something else

JanBooth
on 1/18/13 6:52 am - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

You can add sugar free flavors to cottage cheese and plain Greek yogurt.  I LOVE the sugar free flavors in SF pudding made with skim milk.  Oh, and cheesecake flavored SF pudding mix (a few teaspoons) mixed with plain Greek yogurt...tastes just like cheesecake...it changes the texture of the yogurt to be more like cheesecake, too. 
I usually have a cup of coffee mixed with skim milk, protein powder, and some SF syrup.  Sometimes, I mix just a bit of the protein drink for a warmer coffee, or I mix a lot with some crushed ice for a colder coffee drink.  I get fluids, protein and my coffee fix all in one! 
Then later, I start with dense proteins. 
I tried cereal, but with only having 1/4 cup portion, it was more frustrating for me than satisfying.  With drinking the milk first, then eating the cereal...just seemed less enjoyable.  May be just me?

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

poet_kelly
on 1/18/13 7:52 am - OH

If you're having trouble getting your protein in, Raisin Bran isn't the best choice.  Things like Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese, or a protein shake would be a better choice.  Also, cereal tends to have  a lot of sugar (although not usually too bad in the small portion you would eat right now) and maybe people don't tolerate it well.  It sits really heavy in my pouch.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

yippeex8
on 1/18/13 8:13 am - Jenison, MI

Try a protein shake first, in the morning. Some tolerate that better. A few have even suggested mixing your powder with coffee (decaf). I haven't tried it yet, but I would think it would be like a nice mocha, and be more like a treat!

Jill

Most Active
Recent Topics