Pre surgery jitters help??

Momma1991
on 1/18/13 11:11 am - Hamilton, NJ
RNY on 04/08/13

Hi!! I am having my surgery scheduled when I go in to my Feb. 15th appointment.  I am going with the RNY

(Roux-en-Y) .... I weighed in at 281!!! The highest I have every weighed... I have since lost 3 pounds on my own.. Doctor Noyan would like me to lose 3 more before I come in on the 15th of Feb.  So he put me on a low carb diet.  I am ready for the change! But I am a little nervous.... What should I expect the day of surgery? What is done before surgery? How long is surgery? Will there be any pain?  What foods do you eat in the hospital? Any information  would be great.

Bri W.
on 1/18/13 11:34 am, edited 1/18/13 11:34 am - Quincy, IL
RNY on 12/03/12
Expect to be a rollercoaster of emotions....there will be vitals taken and an iv started and some waiting....it will be the longest but shortest day of your life possibly...no surgery is pain free but there are wonderful pain meds!.... I didn't get anything to eat or drin****il after my swallow test(yuck!) But even after I had rtd protein shake broth and a bomb pop brought to me on my tray...but you won't be hungry! mine only took about 90mins (lap rny)...good luck!
Momma1991
on 1/18/13 11:44 am - Hamilton, NJ
RNY on 04/08/13

What is the swallow test?? 

Thanks!

Bri W.
on 1/18/13 1:43 pm - Quincy, IL
RNY on 12/03/12
A swallow test is done before the surgeon gives the ok with any food or fluids. You are taken to xray...stood between 2 xray plates and given a shot glass with barium in it...you have to drink the barium stuff while they take xrays to make sure your pouch doesn't have any leaks...and it is nasty!
CarolF3
on 1/18/13 1:52 pm - Albany, NY
RNY on 12/17/12

They will take you down to radiology the day after the surgery and have you drink something which tastes like crap. Then they will put you under the xray to check to make sure it is working right and all is well and where it is supposed to be.

When you get back up from there and all is well you will have a tray of fluid items-water, jello, and 1/2 and 1/2 juice (1/2 water).

They will keep track of how much you sip for the meal, etc...

Don't worry being nervous is normal for any major procedure/surgery.

Your surgeon will explain everything to you before the surgery date and the day of the surgery-before you head into pre-op and ask if you have any questions. Follow your Team's instructions.

After your surgery it would be good if you got a Medic Alert Bracelet. Everyone who has had the surgery should have a medic alert bracelet-or necklace. It makes the EMT and ER's job easier and things for us safer as you won't be allowed to have certain things done-it is better if they know that going in.   We all never know if we actually would need one-but, if for some reason we did-better to be safe.

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! You will do fine.

Carol

alaskasusan
on 1/18/13 1:53 pm, edited 1/18/13 2:08 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I guess not all surgeons do the swallow test - mine does not.  I asked about it because I see it mentioned here so frequently and he said there are other indicators to look for.  Since he's done thousands of RNYs over the years I guess he has his methods.

Say, you find out what day your surgery is on the day I'm scheduled for mine!  I learned my date just this afternoon after being rescheduled 3 times already. They said this time they are 99% sure LOL!

I sure get what you are saying about the jitters - it's a big decision, procedure, and life long change.  But it will be so worth it to get my life back.  Everyone here has a story to tell and we share a lot of the same burdens; guess that's why I find it to be such a supportive place.  Keep your eye on the prize and remember that WLS is one of the most frequent and successful surgeries performed these days.

You should have an opportunity to get all the details of the process; we were required to watch a video as well as attend support groups (which I highly recommend) after the initial orientation, plus find an 'angel' to work with us thru the process and after surgery.  Good luck to you, this is another terrific place to learn and get motivation!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 348 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 237 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 109 views
Recent Topics