Low Carb Diet.... Ideas of foods??

Momma1991
on 1/20/13 6:08 am - Hamilton, NJ
RNY on 04/08/13

My doctor put me on a low carb diet.  I am stuck on what to eat on a low carb diet.  I havent had the surgery yet. I get my date on the 15th of Feb.  What foods are low carb?? What meal can I eat thats low carb? Ideal list please?? Thank you in advance

madeformore
on 1/20/13 6:20 am - MN
RNY on 06/21/12

Have you met with a nutritionist yet? If not, I recommend doing that. They can give you guidelines on what they want you to be eating. But stick with protein first - you will have to eat that way after surgery anyway. Avoid "bad" carbs like white breads, pasta, and rice and baked goods. And evaluate your snacks. Pre-surgery snacks like cookies and chips aren't the best choices for a low-carb diet. Think nuts and string cheese. Remember too that low carb doesn't mean no carb. So you can still eat things like fresh fruits and greek yogurt, etc.

Good luck! You can do this!!

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

manda2108
on 1/20/13 6:26 am

Avoid pasta, rice, bread, cereal. Limit fruits. Read the labels on things that you purchase in the store.

Breakfast ideas - cheese/meat omelets; scrambled eggs and beans(yummy); eggs and turkey sausage..any of those paired with some blueberries or raspberries or another low sugar fruit. 

Lunch - tuna/chicken/egg salad 1 slice of higher fiber bread or half of a flatout or a high fiber tortilla

Dinner - chili, steak and veggies, chicken and veggies, experiment with brown rice or quinoa  

Snack on string cheese, turkey pepperoni, deli meat, laughing cow cheese wedges, raw veggies etc. 

Melissa Nicely
on 1/20/13 7:01 am - Chesapeake, OH
RNY on 05/06/13

Breakfast if the best meal of the day IMO. You can have a big omlette with cheese, turkey sausage, peppers, onions and tomatoes. Or have a couple of eggs with turkey bacon or sausage.If you like the protein shakes Atkins makes a few different ones, Walmart carries them and they are low carb.  I like to make a big chef's salad for lunch and make sure there is a lot of meat and cheese in it. I also like to have a burger, no bun with lettuce, tomatoes, sauteed onions and cheddar cheese on it.  Dinner you can have a side salad, some sort of meat that isn't breaded and some steamed or sauteed veggies that have a little olive oil on them. The more protein you eat the less hungry you will be. If you do get a craving for something sweet try fresh strawberries or blueberries with some splenda sprinkled on them. For low carb snacks there are pork rinds, fresh veggies and ranch dip, cheese of any kind or jerky. I also like to make a spread with cream cheese, fine diced roast beef or ham and some diced green onions. I normally eat that with the pork rinds. If you want any more ideas just send me a message.

TXKashmir
on 1/20/13 7:22 am - Grand Prairie, TX

You will get lots of ideas and good information on the Atkins website: http://www.atkins.com/home.aspx

Best of luck on your upcoming surgery!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

siamsa1
on 1/20/13 9:22 am
RNY on 07/17/12

Here's a website that I devoured Pre-Op and I still use some of the recipes Post-Op.  There are dozens of different recipes to choose from - including appetizers, breads and desserts. 

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

My favorite main dish is the Thai Beef Skillet while my favorite dessert are the pudding mousses which are just heavy cream, sugar free pudding mix and water.  So yummy and still low carb.  Enjoy!

Jennifer

daphneb
on 1/20/13 3:02 pm - AK

Get rid of bread now, that's make it easier.  I ate alot of eggs, bacons,peanut butter, jerky, meats, and other protein-rich foods.  It's funny because now after surgery I continue this method.  I also don't eat potatoes or rices, or anything with starches and carbs.  Cheese is another good one and it's actually quite satisfying (I ate a long of things wrapped with cheese - ham, bacon, turkey, etc...)  I even ordered a cheeseburger the other day wrapped in lettuce and I ended up ripping the lettuce off anyway, tasted better without it. 

Read the labels, you'll find out real fast what has the carbs.  Anything over 20g per serving is definitely a no-no.

Good luck, I lost 14lbs on the low carb diet two weeks before surgery.  It works well!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 239 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 271 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 111 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?