bummed over EGD results

jzwife
on 1/22/13 12:25 pm

I had my EGD done today. The Dr said he had never seen  anything like. The plan was to go in and fix the fistula with glue. If it was too large they were going to try and use a new apparatus called a bear claw that would cinch the opening closed. Unfortunately my small pouch was almost non existant and the jujenum was only large enough to let fluid thru. All of my food was passing thru the fistula into my old stomach and down thru the duodenum. I will see the surgeon tomorrow to see where we will go from here . I guess I need to see what type of revision will work best for me. I have been reading and studying about all of them and can't decide if I should go with the DS or a revised RNY.

Any thoughts? They both have plusses and minuses for me.

Sharon

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/22/13 12:34 pm - OH

If you decide on a RNY to DS revision, make sure that your surgeon has done MANY of these revisions.  Not many surgeons do them, because un-doing the RNY bypass and turning it into a DS type bypass is a complicated surgery (more complicated than an original RNY or an original DS) with a significant number of potential complications.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

apurdie
on 1/22/13 12:49 pm - CA

I don't know which one, but I agree with Lorna and I also think that you need to get this fistula fixed ASAP. Good luck to you!

Kat1313
on 1/23/13 9:55 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

I'm so sorry you're having these problems.....must be so frustrating for you.  Don't have any words of advice, other than research very carefully and consider your (potential) surgeon's experience.

Best wishes for speedy recovery.

Most Active