trouble with pureed food

Jen S.
on 1/25/13 1:10 pm

I am 8 days post op and was given the clear today to move on to pureed foods. This evening I decided to puree homemade meat sauce (with ground turkey and some veggies). I used an immersion blender and it was the texture of baby food. I stopped drinking 30 minutes prior, took 30 minutes to eat the 2 tablespoons, and then waited the 30 minutes to continue drinking. When I finished the food, I didn't feel full - I didn't feel anything. When I tried to drink something, I instantly felt full and uncomfortable - this was about 40 minutes after eating. An hour later and I don't think the food has left my pouch yet because I still feel pressure under my sternum. I am so behind on fluids for the day and dehydrated from having never met the daily fluid goal - got to 46 ounces once. 

So my question... At what point does it become worrisome if pureed food hasn't left the pouch? Of course this has to happen at the start of the weekend. I really don't want to bother my surgeon over a trivial thing like pureed food. I am not nauseous, but if I drank something right now, I would be. From everything I have read, pureed food is supposed to leave the pouch fairly quickly. Anyone else had pureed food stay in over and hour?

Mary Catherine
on 1/25/13 1:26 pm

Just because you have the go ahead to eat pureed food does not mean your pouch is ready.  It never hurts to let the doctor know.  It is probably just overfull and you will probably be back to liquids for a while longer.  Give it a few more days on liquids then try a much smaller amount of food and see if you can tolerate it.  Remember the doctor's advise is much more important than what people on the board say. 

Sara L.
on 1/25/13 1:28 pm

You might try small sips of room temperature pineapple juice or warm water. Very small sips. The next run at pureed food, you might thin it out a bit. . . or go back to protein shakes or something similar over the weekend, and try pureed foods again on Monday when your surgeon is in the office.

Whatever you do, don't wait too long. Because you can't push large quantities of fluids, if you get very dehydrated you'll have no choice but to have an IV put in -- and then the ER will call your surgeon.

Good luck -- hope things resolve on their own and soon!

Jen S.
on 1/25/13 1:40 pm

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to stick with liquids for the weekend. I can't afford to go long periods without drinking. My fear right now is that I am going to end up in the ER needing fluids really soon. I am already weak and groggy with a headache. This pureed incident has kept me from drinking for over 2 hours and I only had 28 ounces of fluids today. I never thought eating and drinking would become such a struggle.

Sara L.
on 1/25/13 1:42 pm
Very, very small sips... Slow and steady. It gets better - I promise!
Kaoz789
on 1/25/13 1:36 pm

You have a couple options... You're not going to dehydrate overnight if you wait for your pouch to empty naturally, so you can wait and just start with a warm drink in the morning and trying something like yogurt a little bit later.  If its your first "meal" you may have to back off for a couple days more and then try again. Or next time you're ready to try puréed wait until you have your water in. Try chewing some papaya extract.  Also, you may never feel full again, or hungry either. You'll have to learn your amounts and triggers all over. 

If your food wasn't completely puréed and you're worrying you swallowed a chuck that's too big, you can always go throw up. But I wouldn't recommend it. At least, not at 8 days out.  (This does happen, sometimes you won't chew completely or swallow too soon, there's a lot of relearning how to eat involved in this). 

But if you're uncomfortable right this instant? Go for a walk. The motion will help.

GL!

Jen S.
on 1/25/13 1:47 pm

Thanks. The food was practically a liquid - there wasn't much texture so I don't think any piece got stuck. I am not sure what the problem is.  This is the first time I have felt uncomfortable - also the first time eating anything other than liquids. I was hoping this would be smooth sailing. I start my spring semester Monday. Ahh!! I am so weak right now that when I walk, I get light headed and my heart races. My surgeon told me today to force the water down to prevent things from getting worse, but that didn't happen.

Kaoz789
on 1/25/13 2:05 pm

enlightenedThe weakness is normal at this stage. It may not happen to everyone, but its not uncommon.  Try warm liquids prior to your next attempt at puréed.  Also, papaya extract does help with digestion you can always chew a couple, but that won't really be useful until you get to mushies. 

2/3 of your stomach was just detached and a whole new anestoma artificially made for you. No more sphincter muscle to let the food out in little bits and pieces like you used to have. Now you have a funnel. And you haven't had anything thick in your tummy for a while. Even without the new stitches and severely contracted pouch, you would still be uncomfortable going straight back into meals with substance. Ever have the stomach flu? Two days of vomiting? You started back into eating with soup not steaks or you were just miserable and uncomfortable. The same theory applies here.  Mashed potatoes can be a good start as a shock to your new pouch. Warm and bland.  Also, 28 ounces is good for one day! You're okay until the morning until you can try again. Yes you have to try your best to get your fluids in, yes it's important, but try not to take it out of context, okay? You're doing fine. Also, be careful with the fruit juices. Many have high sugars/ carbs and often the acidity can make a new RNYer unhappy.  Pine apple juice only has ~9.5g s per 3.5 ozs so it is a good one to consider.  Focus on your proteins more so if you can since it sounds like your oing to be busy! Congrats on school! Good job!  And for stuck feelings? Walk walk walk... Or bounce in your seat like I do. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 409 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 349 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 351 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 249 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 158 views
Recent Topics