Appetite

charlem
on 1/28/13 4:29 pm - GA
RNY on 12/27/12
I never actually have an appetite. The only reason I put anything in my system is out of pure necessity..... Should I have an appetite or is this just normal.
Ladytazz
on 1/28/13 5:15 pm

It's normal for some people.  And like most everything else in this journey it is subject to change.  Most of the time I don't get hungry but sometimes I do.  There doesn't seem to be any absolutes, for me anyway.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

JJ_
on 1/28/13 5:18 pm

I am the same as Ladytazz.  Pre-surgery I seemed to be hungry all the time and I could eat a lot.

Judy

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/13 7:35 pm

I went through that stage but sadly now have an appetite I have trouble taming. 

Barbara C.
on 1/28/13 7:49 pm - Raleigh, NC
Our bodies have a hormone known as ghrelin that is responsible for signaling hungar. It is interrupted during the RNY bypass and most RNY patients do not feel much, if any hunger immediately after surgery. Hunger usually slowly returns during the first year post op. It is part of the 'honeymoon' because the lack of grhelin keeps patients from being plagued with hunger during the early phases of their weight loss journey when they are not ingesting much volume. Here is a link to an article about ghrelin. http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/7/2999.full.pdf

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Christopher S.
on 1/28/13 9:24 pm - Medina, NY
RNY on 01/24/12

Agree with the above. You are still healing in there. You are at a great time to see the amount that looks right of foods.Measure or weigh everything. So later when you do want more, you see the slight changes in portion. I am back to using a measure or scale for some foods. My portions were creeping up just a little at a time. 

Weight Loss Ticker

Christopher

cajungirl
on 1/28/13 9:27 pm

Some people come out of surgery hungry, others appetite comes back in time and others never really get an appetite back and eat according to the clock.  I've never experienced much hunger since surgery, my signal is a empty feeling in my gut that didn't return until about 2 years ago.  I still have to remember to eat.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 1/29/13 12:29 am

I'm 11 yrs out and I still eat by the clock. I don't feel hungry like I did pre op (and then I was always hungry). My surgeon said I wouldn't feel hunger like before- when I don't eat for long periods I get shaky and know it's time to replentish my food stores. I think most post ops feel the same. We change our lifestyle, eat healthier , foods that will fill us up and meet our nutritional needs and we don't get "hungry" like before. There's head hunger - which a lot of us get but it's just that - in our head. I know a lot of post ops who are as far out as I am or farther and they say the same thing. No actual stomach hunger- we eat by the clock now and eat much healthier.

Jen 11 yrs post op rNY

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 354 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 452 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 440 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views